Permantly change temp folder in adobe premier cs6 and after effects cs6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackie Coogan

Honorable
May 14, 2013
I´m trying to permanently change the temp folder for adobe premiere CS6 and after effects CS6... I know you can change it in premiere going into project, then preferences, general and if you chose the second tab (I have it in spanish, don´t know what its called) you get the options too change the temp files...AF has something similar... but it resets after you start new project... Is there a way to change it permanently?

Are you wanting to change it to a different folder or a different location (another hard drive)? This YouTube video may help - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-iMtgWLpO0 Though I had already moved by cache files to a different location on another hard drive I watched the video and reorganized by cache files by creating folders like the ones in the video and changed the location in Premiere and After Effects. I reopened Premiere and After Effects to make sure the location was the new one and it was.

Create a folder named Media Cache on the drive you want to move the cache files to and inside that folder create folders named After Effects and Premiere. Open the Premiere folder and create two more folders - Media Cache and Media Database.
Open Premiere and go to Edit>Preferences>Media
Under the Media Cache section click on Browse and navigate to the D:\Media Cache\Premiere\Media Cache folder and select it - click on Select Folder after you click on it.
Under Media Cache Database select browse and navigate to D:\Media Cache\Premiere\Media Database folder and select it. You will want to move the database to this folder - click on Select Folder after you click on it.

You will also need to open After Effects and select the new media cache location.

The drive letter D:\ was just used an example. Your drive letter may be different.

Jackie Coogan

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Thanks I did that and it saved... what about the adobe preview files... they take up alot of space... Is there a way to change there location permantly or do I have to change location each time I open a project?

Are your project files on the same drive as the OS and Premiere? This is especially true if you are working off an SSD. If yes, you might want to consider storing the project files on the non-OS hard drive. My settings are same for audio and video previews (same as project). If you want a location other than the default setting, which is "Same as Project", then you will need to specify where you want the preview files stored before you preview anything.

When you are finished with a project it would a good idea to clear the cache from inside of either Premiere or After Effects. Of course you may already do that.

This link discusses part of your question as well - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1200748

Jackie Coogan

Honorable
May 14, 2013
no I always store my project files on diffrent disk or diffrent partition of the disk then my os... they take up to much space... so I store them where they don´t hinder the preformce of the disk...

That's a good idea. I use three drives, one for the OS and Adobe Suite, one for project files and render to a third drive. When you complete a project do you clear out the cache? I know that the preview files can take up a lot of space as I found out when I was wondering where my hard drive space was going. I don't have a good habit of clearing out the cache but am getting better about it.

Jackie Coogan

Honorable
May 14, 2013
yea same thing happed to me... I didn´t why my disc suddenly had 2 gb of empty space... I usually clean out the cache before exporting a video... cuase sometimes it can get stuck at 100%... so I clean it out and have no problems...

I've had a similar issue before. Hate it when that happens. Just out of curiosity what type of videos do you shoot and edit? I don't claim to be a Premiere Pro expert but am willing to help if you have any further questions.

Jackie Coogan

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Well its very varied becuase I´m freelance editor... so get videos from a lot a different people, with different causalities. But when it´s stuff usually a timelapse or a 1080p from my 60d camera... you´ve actually helped me out alot... whenever I have a problem in adobe I come to this page and you´re usually the guy who anwsers... right now I don´t have any questions... but thanks

Glad I could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.