I'm nervous about buying a Macbook- will it be powerful enough for my needs?

noeldarcy

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015
Hi there guys, I hope this is the right place to ask this. I am a videographer, and I have always been a PC user. I need to upgrade my laptop, and the company I do most of my work with is Mac based, so they are encouraging me to switch to a Macbook Pro, so that I can work on projects in Final Cut, and share harddrives without our current workarounds. I'm ok with the idea in general, except for the fact that Macbooks seem terribly underpowered for the price.
For the most part, I'm sure it will work fine, but occasionally, I undertake large After Effects projects, and I'll soon be editing RAW footage from a 5dMkiii with Magic Lantern, as well as running an external monitor. Money is not an exhaustible resource, so I need to know that if I drop £2000 on a machine (plus extra for a monitor and hard drives) then I'm not going to run into problems. Anyone using a Macbook Pro for professional video work that could give me some insight or advice about this? BTW, I use Premiere Pro, After Effects and Photoshop simultaniously for the bulk of my work, flicking between the 3, so I need something that handle that with no slowdown. I'll also be doing bits and pieces of 3d work, but nothing too major, but I would like the option if I ever get more into it.
Thanks in advance,
Noel

Solution
A MacBook Pro would probably be your best bet for this kind of work.

I want to suggest a Hackintosh, which could save you hundreds of dollars, but I won't provide any instructions on how to do it, simply because it's a violation of Apple's EULA, and I already got banned before for instructions on security bypassing :/

xXCrossfireXx

Estimable
Jan 16, 2016
A MacBook Pro would probably be your best bet for this kind of work.

I want to suggest a Hackintosh, which could save you hundreds of dollars, but I won't provide any instructions on how to do it, simply because it's a violation of Apple's EULA, and I already got banned before for instructions on security bypassing :/

Solution