Phillips LCD TV no picture, but sound Repair Help

Scott Geib

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
Hi,
I have a model 47PFL7403D/27 Phillips LCD TV.
There is no picture, but sound. The menu/volume do not show up, but the LCD light is still working (produces glow in dark room). Can change channels and hear the sound change. When the TV broke, the picture on the screen froze and then slowly faded (and has not returned since), but sound continued. I removed the back panel to show the main board, power board and TCON controller (pictures at:https://picasaweb.google.com/112625720976979453912/BrokenPhillips47PFL7403D27?authuser=0&feat=directlink )
I do not see any bad capacitors, my guess is either the main board or TCON board, but don't know how to trouble shoot which one needs to be replaced or repaired. What should I look at or test to determine the problem?
Any help appreciated,

TheeHank

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
I Have the exact same problem, but with a philips 40". From reading other posts on other sites, it is most likely the TCON board (because the glow is still there). I have checked all the caps like you and found nothing. It seems we are at the same spot. Unless you found something since Aug. 4? Any comment would be helpful.

Scott Geib

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
HI THeeHank, I haven't really moved on this, am trying to decide if it is worth trying to fix (about $75-$100 from what I can find), or just buy new TV. Seems a shame not to fix, but don't want to end up with a pile of parts that cost half as much as a new TV. Have you found anywhere that offers returns for parts online?

TheeHank

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

What parts are you looking at? I found T-Con boards for sale for $40, no returns though. Ebay takes returns but are more expensive, and you have to pay double shipping so I don't know if it's worth it. I was hoping to find the failed component like a cap or fuse if possible, makes fixing basically free. If the fix is to replace entire boards, it would be nice to know that it is the right one, such as the inverter board or T-Con board.

Scott Geib

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
You have refueled my interest in trying to fix. Found a (used) TCON for my model for $30 on ebay. Going to give it a try. Should know by weekend if it works. Will let you know

Scott Geib

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
So I got a new (used) tcon board for my tv yesterday, and swapped it out with the existing one. Put everything back together and it worked!!! So $30 repair, not too bad. And it seems that the glowing screen can be diagnosed as a TCON problem. Not sure what the exact issue was with the board, but swapping it worked.