Pictured: The Quad-Core-Packing HTC Edge Superphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dandalf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]I didn't think android supported multi-threaded apps.[/citation]

I'd like to know that too actually, otherwise the Tegra 3 seems pretty pointless. I think Samsung has the right idea with their next Exynos, which remains a dual core but is just clocked much higher.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
[citation][nom]ChrisCornell[/nom]Yay - it's a HTC. Which means that it's software will NEVER get updated...[/citation]

root?

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
So lineage wise, I assume this is "not" part of the EVO line then, but it is spec'ed out better than the EVO. I want to know what the "EVO" version of this phone will be like.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]I didn't think android supported multi-threaded apps.[/citation]

Android 3.0 and higher all support multiple CPU's at the OS level, building multi threaded apps would be up to the developer. At least the OS can actually multitask unlike some other fruit based OS's that think playing your music or talking or texting while doing any other 1 thing is the definition of multi tasking.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
we just now need to inject the better lithium batteries in research phase... w/e happened to fuel cells and nano constructed lithium cells

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
[citation][nom]ChrisCornell[/nom]Yay - it's a HTC. Which means that it's software will NEVER get updated...[/citation]

You might want to check for updates or switch carriers then because I've had a few HTC updates for my Desire over the past year, not including the Froyo upgrade

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Seems good, while quad core can use more power, modern CPU's to turn off idle cores completely.

Quad core may also help or web browsers, especially if the browser is multithreaded (in which case they need to be yelled at for not making desktop web browsers multithreaded)

[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Android 3.0 and higher all support multiple CPU's at the OS level, building multi threaded apps would be up to the developer. At least the OS can actually multitask unlike some other fruit based OS's that think playing your music or talking or texting while doing any other 1 thing is the definition of multi tasking.[/citation]

While those products can multitask, the issue is they make it hard to deal with multiple apps (just wasn't implemented well in the OS)

Android does a little better job but doesn't deal with multiple apps too well (it may randomly close some)

Webos seems to handle multitasking the best where it wont randomly close programs and makes it easy to navigate them.

Though from some previews, it seems that windows 8 for the tablet will have some decent multitasking abilities

G

What's the point of making efficient solar cells when there's still so many possibilities with crude oil?

jcb82

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
How do people afford these new phones? What's the value proposition when I one is hard pressed to find software that takes advantage of these capabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.