Planning to buy alienware 13 but confused

suyash691

Estimable
Nov 7, 2014
I am planning to buy an alienware 13 ($999). But I read the cpu specs , it is a 4210U , paired with a gtx 860m GPU. I am unsure about the performance, will the cpu create a bottleneck on the fps at 720p gaming?

Solution
Yeah your choices are very very limited.

A) go with the Alienware 13 and get possibly stonewalled by some games that need more CPU power.

B) go with the bigger 15" laptops and live with playing at lower settings (such as medium setting and forcing res to 1280x720)

C) Buy a cheap laptop, a 20" monitor, and a PS4 and call it a day.

Ultimately, I like C because you don't have to worry about how good your laptop is and just use it for notes/classes/movies/the occasional web surfing when prof rambles. AND the PS4 will probably play games for years to come and probably better than the Alienware. But thats just an option.

Warukyure

Estimable
Please for that price, buy the Lenovo Y50. The LED light changing thing isn't that cool.

For around $1000 you can get a good Lenovo Y50. It'll come with the same GPU but have a much better i7 CPU. It will also have a much better 1920x1090 screen.

suyash691

Estimable
Nov 7, 2014
The point is alienware has a 720p screen on a 13.3 inch screen. 720p would mean a much lesser load on the GPU therefore increasing the frame rate; I really don't fancy the lighting and stuff. (I think I can run most games on high and ultra on 720p with 60 fps but on 1080p that would be less than 30 fps)

TheMagicalWallaby

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013

Is this for LAN parties or something? Gaming laptops are only good for just that. They are not energy efficient and go through battery like its nothing.

suyash691

Estimable
Nov 7, 2014
yeah that and heavy gaming also .. but during heavy gaming I will keep it plugged in. I just need to know if the 4210U will bottleneck the gtx 860m card on 720p max settings on most games

Warukyure

Estimable
Yeah that CPU is made for things like long battery life, even plugged in its not amazing. Even with turbo mode you're not gonna have fantastic performance. I'd really stress that you try to find something with the i5-42XXM or i5-43XXM at least.

Also what kinda games are you trying to play? Newer games? Slightly Older games? Just wondering to get a better sense of things.

Warukyure

Estimable
I'm worried AssGreedUnity might crush your computer, maybe even Witcher 3, everything else is a bit more tame in terms of requirements.

UbiLAZYSoft said it themselves that AssGreeedUnity is going to be very taxing on the CPU due to the number of elements on the screen at any given time. I'm worried that the i5-4210U is just not gonna be able to handle it.

CTurbo

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
I actually think it would be fine @ 720p. The expectations are realistic. 1080p would be a definite no, but 720p is just not that taxing. I know this particular i5 is a low watt model but it's still decently powerful for a mobile cpu.

However, I can't help but to agree that there are surely better options out there. Is a 13" laptop REALLY that much more mobile than a 15"? You'll get a lot more for your money out of a 15".

Warukyure

Estimable
Yeah your choices are very very limited.

A) go with the Alienware 13 and get possibly stonewalled by some games that need more CPU power.

B) go with the bigger 15" laptops and live with playing at lower settings (such as medium setting and forcing res to 1280x720)

C) Buy a cheap laptop, a 20" monitor, and a PS4 and call it a day.

Ultimately, I like C because you don't have to worry about how good your laptop is and just use it for notes/classes/movies/the occasional web surfing when prof rambles. AND the PS4 will probably play games for years to come and probably better than the Alienware. But thats just an option.

Solution

hlesna

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014

If you want portability and performance (and can wait till January) look at the MSI gs30. It's basically the same thing, but with an i7 and better screen and is smaller (though it lacks a dedicated gpu when not docked)

xianm16

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014

Alienware also has that docking thing getting ready I think. But Msi might sell it cheaper. Im with the gs30 sounds good if the price is right. Will cost some extra for monitor. Any thought on the price of the gs30 might be? Really itching to pick it up its below 800 for screen qith lower res.