PlayStation 3 is Finally Not a Money Loser for Sony

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

i7Rocks

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
LOL @ anyone trying to compare the wii to the ps3. Wii is for children and grandparents, the games are absolute trash and the nintendo exclusives are getting old. Any gamer that thinks a PC can replace PS3 is missing out on a ton of exclusive titles. MGS4, GOW3, LBP, GT, Uncharted etc...

I'm happy for sony, they have had the best console since the original playstation and its about time people start realizing what the PS3 can actually do.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
This gives Sony a $200 price cut range they can perform at any time. They really should bring the price down back into "bleeding" so they can finally compete on the price of consoles and outsell the others.

Enjoying a profit per console isn't as important as selling more consoles than anyone else.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]The market wholeheartedly disagreed. Nintendo's job is not to make a great performing console but to make a product that will sell. They made the right moves and were rewarded.[/citation]

If there is another crash in the gaming industry it will undoubtedly be because of Nintendo's tactics this genertation.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]Why buy a PS3 or 360 when you can get the same best games on PC? It's redundant to buy a Ps3 or 360 and build a $1000 rig. I own a Wii to get my hands on games that don't exist on other platforms. Don't forget that those 2 consoles (360/ps3) are also shitty in the way that 90% of their games are FPS, which as we all know, are god awful on consoles when you compare it to PC.[/citation]

Name one PS3 exclusive (which happen to be some of the best games available on any console) that is on PC.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]i7Rocks[/nom]Any gamer that thinks a PC can replace PS3 is missing out on a ton of exclusive titles. MGS4, GOW3, LBP, GT, Uncharted etc...[/citation]

Well the only way to be able to play every good game on the market is to have all the consoles plus the PC. Seeing how I use a powerful PC in any case, it makes sense to not buy stupid kiddy consoles just so that I could have a few extra games made for the widest possible audience (dumbed down as much as possible).

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]badaxe2[/nom]If there is another crash in the gaming industry it will undoubtedly be because of Nintendo's tactics this genertation.[/citation]

Didn't Nintendo's CEO come out and say this is already happening because games just aren't good enough? Wouldn't have anything to do with the substandard hardware of the Wii...

The Wii sold and made a huge installation base very quickly based on the price of the hardware. Game makers scrambled to pump out games for a platform they had no faith in at launch. Now that platform simply can't keep up with the evolution of games and few good quality games exist for the Wii.

I have all three consoles in my home. The Wii is the only one I can't play from my couch. I have to be about in the center of my living room (or sitting on the coffee table) and the controls have poor accuracy and latency issues. The image quality is glaringly obvious in my living room and as more people experience games on the other two consoles I think they are moving away from Wii.

nuskooltone

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Yeah So what, they had to gut the machine of half of its appeal before doing so. No backwards compatibility in hardware OR even software, and recently they took the Alt OS capability away. They slashed the price but it does LESS and less with every revision! Isn't it supposed to be the other way around? Oh.. the hard drive's bigger now. Yahoo!

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]fball922[/nom]Its true that the Wii has been successful from a business standpoint, but they must be careful, lest they repeat the problems that ultimately destroyed the Atari. The constant struggle going on with consoles is finding the balance between giving freedom to developers, while maintaining quality control. Nintendo seems to have removed all quality restrictions these days... Their game market is saturated with boring titles that sell only a few copies. Nintendo makes a few dollars, then its over. The problem I referenced with Atari was that their market, too, was saturated with cruddy titles that constantly failed to deliver ANYTHING (E.T. comes to mind).Nintendo isn't there yet, but that ratio of good-to-crap games is starting to get in the unacceptable range. Granted, Atari had no means to control the content, but the idea is the same.Oh, and congrats Sony. Should stop some of the hemorrhaging of cash they are going through now.[/citation]

Apparently people like to eat ****. That's why Nintendo is successful this generation. I can't believe people are falling for it again with 3DS. Release all the same old games on a handheld with a 3.5" screen that does 3D without glasses and will probably cost twice as much as a DS=win. [citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Any idiot can put together high-end hardware, it's the easiest thing in the world. The Wii is smaller, cheaper, uses less power and sold better than the competition. How is that not good?The purpose of a product (in this case a console) is to sell, that's the only reason it's made. A product that fulfills its purpose is a good product and the fact that Wii is underpowered compared to the competition just underscores how good it is.Sorry, I can look at consoles only from a business perspective, I wouldn't be caught dead using any of them.[/citation]

Maybe you should be using Intel integrated graphics because they're cheap, easy to produce and sell so well!

*Post edited by moderator* Cool it on the language.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]badaxe2[/nom]Name one PS3 exclusive (which happen to be some of the best games available on any console) that is on PC.[/citation]

Oh come on, that's a total oxymoron. It would be like asking someone to name one auto manufacturer besides Ford that makes the Mustang, Focus or F150. I do have all 3 consoles plus a decent gaming PC so I understand the value of owning them all.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]badaxe2[/nom]Maybe you should be using Intel integrated graphics because they're cheap, easy to produce and sell so well![/citation]

This is not a valid comparison because integrated graphics are not a consumer product. You can't go to the store and buy an IGP. If TVs came with integrated Wiis then your analogy would make sense.

Also, I wouldn't use an IGP for gaming but I also wouldn't use a console for gaming. I wasn't commenting on whether gaming is better on the Wii or on PS3 (it's all crap compared to a PC), I was commenting on Nintendo's business decisions which had paid off as they sold 70 million Wiis compared to 35 million PS3s and 40 million Xbox 360s.

iNiNe5

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Ha ha Nintendo made money on every Wii sold from day one.[/citation]

money maker for Nintendo, money loser for everyone else

adipose

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
I think the Wii is a great product. For the price (especially at launch), it offered a great experience. I don't really even care about the motion stuff, although some of it is ok. I had a lot of fun with some of the games (New Super Mario Bros multiplayer).

However, I think the PS3 is a superior product (for the money). Especially today now that the prices are closer to each other. There are more "high-end" games that the Wii just can't play.

Depending on the types of games you like, you either need graphics power, or you don't. The Wii delivers plenty of good games that don't need graphics power. The PS3 (and Xbox) deliver lots of games that do need that power.

So no, the Wii is not a piece of crap. But if you are used to playing PC games, it's hard to go back to Wii for certain types of games. This is why some feel it's a "kiddy" platform.

Personally I only play Wii for "party" games that I can play with other people. When I'm home alone, it's all PS3.

G

The only generation that enjoys the Wii is the one that grew up playing Nintendo. You know, before both Sony and Microsoft. It's the only generation that doesn't think a console is all about FPShooters and graphics.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]Why buy a PS3 or 360 when you can get the same best games on PC? It's redundant to buy a Ps3 or 360 and build a $1000 rig. I own a Wii to get my hands on games that don't exist on other platforms. Don't forget that those 2 consoles (360/ps3) are also shitty in the way that 90% of their games are FPS, which as we all know, are god awful on consoles when you compare it to PC.[/citation]

Not when I can play them with friends on the consoles. No one I know has a gaming pc but me. And I am too old to make internet friends.

kerbe360

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]The market wholeheartedly disagreed. Nintendo's job is not to make a great performing console but to make a product that will sell. They made the right moves and were rewarded.[/citation]

I agree. Nintendo made a system that will make Nintendo happy. Cant say the same for the developers that are making more awesome games on PS3 and X360 and now that Move is coming out for PS3 they can make the game the way they really wanted to make on the PS3 without the last gen limitations of the Wii. Hats off to Nintendo for making a system that made the industry think twice about graphical horse power but a good game is even better with awesome graphics. The Wii is good for Nintendo.... cant say the same for third party devs.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
If anyone is seriously into gaming.. they don't play on a wannabe pc in the budget class labeled a console, which few seem to realizes gets more expensive in the end!

About 10'ish purchased games they could had a PC with far better performance AND those 10 games for the same money due to the extra fee that the consoles add to the game price tag (in order to sell the hardware cheaper). The more games after that the lesser the game experience will be compared to a pc where the extra "console tax" could have been poured into the system delivering that game... the rig allowing a solid performance with greater resolution ect. (Playing at 2560x1600 today, where is the console that can deliver any fps worth mentioning at that res?)

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
The "hardcore" gamers can trash the Wii all they want. Nintendo's really had the same strategy for over a decade and it's still working. They make quality first party games, yet have poor third party support. They also ignore higher end hardware for what they consider to be cutting edge on what's "fun". They're the only true console in the console race, because they're the only ones focusing on what consoles are about, trying to make a more entertaining product to overcome outdated hardware. There's a reason why people always claim "XBox/PS3 is better", it's because they're pretty much interchangeable. Every time I see a noteworthy title on one, it's usually coming out for the other. They're both going for the same market, and it's the market that should be playing PC to begin with. If you think gaming's about graphics, go buy a $2k rig and you'll get much better graphics than either XBox or PS3. You'll probably get bored with it just as fast since it's cookie cutter garbage, but at least you get to look at something shiny for awhile.
The only people that have a problem with "kiddie" games are kiddies. Mature people will play what entertains them, regardless of what it looks like, they aren't concerned with whether or not they'll look uncool for playing it. Grow up already.

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]i7Rocks[/nom]LOL @ anyone trying to compare the wii to the ps3. Wii is for children and grandparents, the games are absolute trash and the nintendo exclusives are getting old. Any gamer that thinks a PC can replace PS3 is missing out on a ton of exclusive titles. MGS4, GOW3, LBP, GT, Uncharted etc...I'm happy for sony, they have had the best console since the original playstation and its about time people start realizing what the PS3 can actually do.[/citation]

PS3 has FPS games, it still doesn't have RTS games and those it may have are severly crippled and would be considered coasters sooner than good games. there are a fair amount of exclusives to PC as well.

and that is just one example of what the PS3 cannot do, btw PS3 graphics play on 480/720 and upscale it to 1080, which looks nothing like true 1080p that you can find on a computer.

also ps3 costs $299
my 5850 costs $280

i wonder which performs better? /sarcasm/

Status
Not open for further replies.