PlayStation 3 is Finally Not a Money Loser for Sony

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leonardo01

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
With move, there is really no reason now to get a wii. ps3 offers so much more VFM in comparison to most of the competition....all they need is a few more awesome exclusives and they can FTW!

leonardo01

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
[citation][nom]Requiemsallure[/nom]PS3 has FPS games, it still doesn't have RTS games and those it may have are severly crippled and would be considered coasters sooner than good games. there are a fair amount of exclusives to PC as well. and that is just one example of what the PS3 cannot do, btw PS3 graphics play on 480/720 and upscale it to 1080, which looks nothing like true 1080p that you can find on a computer.also ps3 costs $299my 5850 costs $280i wonder which performs better? /sarcasm/[/citation]

dude ur crazy....rts games are meant for pcs.see its like this, if you want action adventure, beat em ups and fighting games u get a console...if ur heavily into rts then it would be best if get a pc.consoles were not designed to play rts.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
maybe now they can put linux back on them? they would make more sales and they would actually make some money from those who buy them to use them for something else then gaming... maybe even allow for 3d acceleration in linux... that would be awesome, I would buy one.

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]The market wholeheartedly disagreed. Nintendo's job is not to make a great performing console but to make a product that will sell. They made the right moves and were rewarded.[/citation]

You mean Nintendo's job is to make a garbage console for retards to buy.

same thing like Apple, they "specially designed" garbage products for retards.

1pp1k10k4m1

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
[citation][nom]Wheat_Thins[/nom]BR drive cost at launch was $125.00. RSX was $129.00. Cell was $89.00.[/citation]

I think he was indicating what a retail blu-ray drive cost a consumer in 2006. It looks like you've listed Sony's cost in the PS3. Both numbers are about right it seems.

hiruu

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
The problem is another price cut will drive them down into losses again...Plus unless PSN Plus takes off, they are still bleeding money on PSN.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]The market wholeheartedly disagreed. Nintendo's job is not to make a great performing console but to make a product that will sell. They made the right moves and were rewarded.[/citation]

very much like apple products.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006

Actually, as far as I know, this has only happened three times in the history of video games: with the Xbox, Xbox 360, and PS3. Nintendo has always made a profit from the start, and Sony made a starting profit on the PS1 and PS2. As far as track record go... The Xbox never turned a profit, though the 360 started to around 2007, after the first CPU die shrink helped cut costs.

I have the impression that after this generation, we won't see this occur again, at least to a severe extent. A daring company MIGHT take a small initial loss to try too boost allure, but it's been shown that the whole tactic of "sell it at a big loss and sell tons of games" is complete crud; attach rates for each console have been surprisingly close to each other, all in the 7-9 range, meaning that even with the $10US surcharge Microsoft and Sony charged on games, that means JUST NOW they've amassed an extra $70-90 through this tactic... Not enough to really recover the loss on hardware.

DC Universe Online? There aren't that many PS3 exclusives... Almost all happen to be because they're made by Sony. Looking through the popularly-bandied exclusives... MGS4, quite frankly, sucks. It's a shame to the rest of the franchise. The God of War series is likewise over-rated. Gran Turismo is pretty good for a racing game, but granted, it's got tons of competition; there's other multi-platform giants like Need for Speed, plus not one, but TWO Xbox 360-exclusive racing franchises of rivaling quality. (PGR and Forza) Oh, and Killzone? Hardly even a remarkable game, given that aside from the inexplicable darkness, it Looks like every other darn FPS these days.

So that leaves... Uncharted and LittleBigPlanet. The former isn't truly GREAT, but is definitely a good first-party action game. LBP has managed to do with a bit more uniqueness, and yes, is a first-party exclusive that adds definite value to the PS3.

But really... Two worthwhile true exclusives? Hardly a selection worthy of being called "some of the best games available on any console." I concluded that three of the major ones (GOW3, MGS4, KZ) are all definitely over-rated by their fans, and have little appeal to those not in said fangroups. Likewise, GT is good, but hardly compelling, as its genre is extremely competitive, with at least 3 other franchises laying equal claim. And two games are actually what grant good merit.

For one, E.T., had it been not on a cartridge-based format and with unreasonable expectations, would've been a commercial success; it DID sell 1.5 million copies, making it the fifth-best-selling 2600 title. The major problem was that 5 million cartridges had been prepared, at hefty cost. Ironically, the #1-selling title of the entire pre-NES era was the 2600 port of Pac-Man, at 7 million copies, which happened IN SPITE of being widely considered a very horrible port that was nowhere near as good as the original arcade version. It, too, failed to meet its estimates (And hence prepared cartridge quantity) by at least a few million.

This is where we see that what befell Atari cannot befall Nintendo anymore; while a game cart ran a sizeable cost, and hence posed a risk if it didn't sell, DVDs can be stamped for a penny or so apiece; even once you throw in packaging, it's all under a dollar. This is compounded by the fact that unlike cartridges, you can ramp production up to meet demand, so you needn't prepare millions of copies in advance; you could control production to respond to sales on a weekly basis, so if sales plummeted, you'd have few extra copies unsold, which further could still be sold profitably even if marked down to $5US apiece, which'd fix that. That's a big improvement over the old cartridge system, where a $30-50 cost of physically making a game made "bargain bin titles" unprofitable.

That said, there has been a growth of lower-quality titles; due to the reasons I outlined above, they have, unlike Pac-Man and E.T., still yielded profit for their makers and Nintendo. However, there have still be lemons exclusive to the 360 and PS3, such as Sonic the Hedgehog, Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust, and the ever-dreadful Bomberman: Act Zero. In this case, it appears to be a similar trend, with a different face; developers want to easily cash in, so on the Wii, they shove in motion-control gimmicks, and on the 360/PS3, they go for "nostalgia" while raping the old series' time-tested gameplay and theme in order to be more "edgy and mature." Likewise, the problem that existed then with obscene-content video games (like General Custer's Revenge) has been thoroughly met, as there is the ESRB in North America, and even worse, MANDATORY ratings agencies in other countries. (where governments can directly BAN games that go to far, or ban their sale to minors)

Nonetheless, perhaps I remain optimistic, that in spite of the potential dangers on ALL sides, I don't think we'll ever see a crash like what happened in 1983; the industry was in that infancy at the time, so any collapse on one side here would just get met with competitors taking advantage. The main elements that let it happen just aren't there anymore: we have no cartridge format, there's no longer the hype craze over the entire industry, there's a lot more established norms and expectations, and there's at least some degree of oversight from the ESRB and other regulatory agencies.

G

***, **** 360 and **3!!!

*Post edited by moderator* cool it on the language

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]Dang! That means my PS3 is 4 years old... It doesn't even seem like it's been that long.[/citation]

thats what happens when the success of non upgradeable consoles, and the greed/lazyness of developers completely stall technical progress...

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Seriously, didn't we have articles saying Sony's "finally" making a profit like last year? Correct me if I am wrong but this is what I recall...

Sorry but I *sort of* agree with a few ppl here who are technically against Nintendo. IMO Nintendo's last console worth any mention was the N64, Interesting case since it's cartridge based. Of course I guess that's a bias opinion since I grew up with it, but to date I don't know of any other analog that was easier to get use to in an fps than N64's controller *Goldeneye/Perfect Dark anyone?* A reiteration of cartridge would be awesome to if flash memory still didn't cost an arm and a leg in a game creating perspective, but thats just my imagination flaring up again :)

The lamest issue I see is how PC games are defined by the hardware limitations of the console counter parts, it's not for nothing our frame rates are getting sillier by the generation, well for games that support more than 1 core anyways.... Of course we all know who is to blame for that :)

It's not like they are going to create consoles with the ability to upgrade a video card (would be cool, annoy a few, but legitimately prolong lifecycle), since to date xbox's triple core can still hold a candle to the pc in terms of gaming, their video card and ram however along with the ps3's? It's just limiting coolness imo. The cell chip for example can more than make due with a graphical update :)

Oh and if anyone is going to argue that the graphics don't mean everything, yes they do, the more power you have, not only can you make it look better, you can also actually put MORE on the screen, read up on issues with reasons to why some (very very few) games were never published on nintendo or were *dumbed* down severely, and not just visually.

:)

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]the associate[/nom]to date I don't know of any other analog that was easier to get use to in an fps than N64's controller *Goldeneye/Perfect Dark anyone?* [/citation]
Actually, from my personal experience, the Wii-remote system works out pretty well there. It takes a little getting used to and practice to keep your hand steady, but it has yielded me far better precision than the analog stick has.

Of course, it also reflects the afforementioned games in terms of philosophy; most games adopt the Halo style of simply having one stick move the entire camera, which doesn't work as well as being able to move the crosshair along the screen.

[citation][nom]the associate[/nom]A reiteration of cartridge would be awesome to if flash memory still didn't cost an arm and a leg in a game creating perspective, but thats just my imagination flaring up again[/citation]
First, carts don't use flash EEPROMs, or any other type of modifiable memory; they use pre-written ROM. What purpose would using a cartridge-based format serve? It doesn't really have any COMPELLING legitimate reasons for use. What it does have is pretty limited, especially versus the cons:
+Pro: Generally more durable.
+Pro: Faster, with less latency, than discs. (over the years the improved quantity of RAM, as well as the presence of internal HDDs/flash has reduced the value of this)
+Pro: Allows for the inclusion of extra chips, such as SRAM/EEPROMs for saving data, (in exchange for tying saves to that cart) and add-in co-processors. (which increase the cost more)
+Pro: makes piracy more difficult... Entirely due to the cost of the media.
Given the cost and risk measures I'd detailed in my prior comment, (which I'd recommend reading if you haven't already) there really isn't any reason to use cartridges for a home console; the very low cost for their relatively high capacity, and ESPECIALLY the flexibility in production management, makes them a far superior choice as a distribution media. The only exception might be where size, as is the case of handhelds, actually makes a cartridge-based format feasible, though I epexct that future non-rotating holographic media will eventually displace cartridges in handhelds, too.

[citation][nom]the associate[/nom]Oh and if anyone is going to argue that the graphics don't mean everything, yes they do, the more power you have, not only can you make it look better, you can also actually put MORE on the screen, read up on issues with reasons to why some (very very few) games were never published on nintendo or were *dumbed* down severely, and not just visually.[/citation]
Actually, since about the 6th generation, we'd already hit the roof of about what's needed for really visually-complex games. (see things like Katamari Damacy and Shadow of the Collossus) Since the Wii is readily a few times more powerful than the PS2, it's safe to say that claims that its graphics couldn't support the necessary detail of a game are simply thinly-veiled BS. The dumbing-down occurs often simply because the developer opts to not bother optimizing; they figure that it'll sell even if it looks crappy on the Wii, and hence it becomes "shovelware." This same strategy actually befouls 360 and PS3 titles, too; as they are (relatively) close to each other in capabilities, a developer will only bother matching their game to one console, and give little to no effort in the port to the other, yielding a crappy result.

The Wii has a lot more potency than it's given credit for; we must remember that it still readily surpasses the original Xbox, which was most certainly "sufficient" before people were distracted by the shinier, newer 360. There's also been a number of subtle cases of it showing off a lot of power that would escape the casual observer. Even in games like Wii Sports, which at a glance seems so simplistic, suddenly becomes a lot more intense once you realize it's modeling 91 bowling pins with complete physics, which becomes vastly more convex when the objects are not fully convex, which is the case of said pins. (on account of their neck) Handling all those checks and keeping 60fps is certainly something that'd melt a PS2 or even Xbox.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]i7Rocks[/nom]LOL @ anyone trying to compare the wii to the ps3. Wii is for children and grandparents, the games are absolute trash and the nintendo exclusives are getting old. Any gamer that thinks a PC can replace PS3 is missing out on a ton of exclusive titles. MGS4, GOW3, LBP, GT, Uncharted etc...I'm happy for sony, they have had the best console since the original playstation and its about time people start realizing what the PS3 can actually do.[/citation]

Wii isnt for kids and grandparents what kind of crap is that. Its a really nice thought out system with alot of fun addons. personaly if i were to go and get a consol it would be a wii. Btw you dont get a PC to replace a pc3 you get a PS3 to replace a PC. and those games garbage btw. Nothing i have seen on a ps3 or xbox that was worth playing hasnt come out on the pc. even if it is just a crappy port of the crappy consol version most of the time.

as far as playstation being he best since it came out well thats really all just a bunch of....... Opinion.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Just think a few more features taken away and they can sell it for $199!!! Who cares if you can actually use it to play your old games or not, $ony is making money! Good article jokes aside . :)

pcxperp

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Just because Sony is only now turning a profit on the hardware itself doesn't mean Sony isn't making money from the system overall. The majority of money is made from licensing. As a company, if you want to make anything for the console, be it a game, controller, cables, etc. you must first pay a licensing fee to Sony. That's the point of selling the system even at a loss on hardware: the greater the installed base, the more games and peripherals being sold, the more licensing fees in Sony's pocket. And most licensing contracts include an up-front licensing fee as well as a percentage of profits from units sold. Sony is a marketing genius and they know how to profit on their innovation, even if it means giving up a few bucks on the hardware itself.

G

I Own a Intel i7 860 (2.80Ghz) with a GTX285 Nvidia Card, my PS3 Slim 120GB HD in Comparison to Performance & Quality I see no Difference in the Games(Same Titles) that I actually Own on PC & PS3. Example: Turok, NFS UnderCover, Wolfenstien, FEAR & Finally Tomb Raider Underworld. Some of the Best games on my PS3 are KillZone2, Resistance 1 & 2, Ninja Gaiden 2. For you people out there that think your high end PC has Better Graphics & Gameplay than a PS3... Then think again, just watch the Lastest Final Fantasy on a PS3 & you will change your mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.