PlayStation Minis May Share PSPgo's Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arethel

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Keeping in mind of course, people typically do not purchase Sony products for running "mini"-scule programs and games. I don't use my PS3 too often anymore, but the thought of loading it up to play a typical sprite based mini-game seems a tad bit out of place. There's nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't seem too appealing.

When it comes to smart phones though, in particular Apple's iphone, what else is there? Of course you're going to run apps from the app store. What, you mean people expect to install AAA titles onto their smart phones as opposed to the little apps? So in a sense, it's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison for me.

On a side note, I sold my Nintendo DS Lite a while ago. I didn't need the cash and I sold it for a ridiculously cheap price. I guess I was a sucker at seeing how much an adult twice my age, was enjoying it as she held it. I had TONS of cheap little mini games on there but I never used it. Now I play my little mini games on my WinMo phone.

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
I think the minis would've done better in the mobile phone/smartphone market. Sony should've tried their hands at that market with the MiniS instead of on the PSN.

By putting it on the psn they were inadvertantly putting them(the MiniS) up against their non-miniaturized "bigger game" application sibblings where it was certain to lose in terms of Sales figures, popluarity etc.

From what I've browsed on the PSN Store I believe most of the MiniS software titles were mostly stand alone titles and lack online multiplayer functionality.

That's not to say that online multiplayer is a necessity in today's games but I believe there are probably some titles in there that could've used such a feature.

Oh well at least they are trying to appeal to both the dollar-conscientious consumer and the small to mid-size developer at the same time; unfortunately it's just not in the cards at this time.

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Actually, I think you are wrong. The biggest problem I think with Mini's is not the platforms their aimed at, or competition with the big retail games. I don't own a PSP, but I imagine they would be fantastic for playing on the bus, for instance. I think the biggest problem is that there is no way to try them out. Before you buy your first Mini, there is no way of knowing whether you going to get something comparable to a PS1 classic, or a flash game on miniclip. A simple 1 hour trial, or first level demo of these titles would have helped considerably in my opinion. Especially when WipeoutHD costs little more than 2 of these games.
There is also the price issue. I would have been incredibly disappointed to have paid for Fieldrunners (OK, yes I did pay for it as part of PSN+, but thats besdies the point). I love it, brilliant little game. But in reality not really any different to the hundreds of other tower defence games out there, many of which are free.

Warning: Dig at Apple fans coming up.

Ultimatly sales and adoption figures show that the types of sheep buying Apples iphone over and over again, not only do they have to hold their phones diffrently, but they are willing to pay £2.99 for an "app" that puts a green JPEG on screen and makes a whooosh sound whenever you use the phone. Perhaps the people buying Sony's products are not under the curse of Apple so much that they feel compelled to spend hundreds of pounds a month on micro-transactions just to turn on the LED on the back of their phone.

Arethel

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
I bought Rampart on the PSN and it was completely disgusting. It was pretty expensive too. They didn't do anything to update it, and it ran worse than SNES to the point of being unplayable. I understand your pain with lack of demo.

I have a PSP slim also. Meeh. I play things like FF7/FF8 and anything I purchase on UMD. I don't like to carry around my PSP and my phone. For retro titles like FF7/FF8 I actually prefer to play them on my PSP rather than have the screen stretched to my television. Needless to say, my PSP is not a mobile device for me.

Though I swear no loyalty to any particular company, I do frown against Apple. I wouldn't go so far as to call the users "sheep" simply because they purchase apps from the app store. That to me is a bit unjust. Where else can they legally go to purchase software titles? Also, how many of us nerds haven't toyed with novelty bits of code? I would never pay for any such thing, but I did have a funny little lightsaber program on my WinMo phone for a couple of days.

The way I look at it regarding the iphone... it's a phone*, end of story. You're bound to have little novelty items on there. There are still people that purchase ring tones or low resolution graphics. Why would you expect them to not download simple little apps?

*that struggles to make phone calls

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
^- you forget that many of these 'simple little apps' surpass games released on the DS and PSP by a longshot.

the App store was a success because they made development free, easy and incredibly simple. The minis have the same restrictions as full fledged titles, including the incredibly steep (i believe more than 500 dollars still?) price of the SDK.
hopefully with the psp2 sony will learn form that mistake, but minis were never going to take off while only established companies could afford the risk of developing them.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]VampyrByte[/nom]Actually, I think you are wrong. The biggest problem I think with Mini's is not the platforms their aimed at, or competition with the big retail games. I don't own a PSP, but I imagine they would be fantastic for playing on the bus, for instance. I think the biggest problem is that there is no way to try them out. Before you buy your first Mini, there is no way of knowing whether you going to get something comparable to a PS1 classic, or a flash game on miniclip. A simple 1 hour trial, or first level demo of these titles would have helped considerably in my opinion. [/citation]

Spot on, I believe anyway. I've tried a few minis on my PSP, and besides Fieldrunners, they were not very good or decent but got old fast. However, maybe I would have liked others if I could have tried them out first? Even at $3-4 a title, it's not worth the risk of getting a terrible game you'll play for 5 minutes and delete.

Just like with XBox Live Arcade games, you can demo them all before buying (a lot of Smartphone games also offer free versions to try). The same model should have been used for the Minis. They might see a lot more success with a trial type download. I personally would never buy another Mini unless I've read some reviews or word of mouth from a friend that it was a must have. Hard to find reviews on games people aren't playing though!

lobsterm

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
There's no question that Apple changed the world with the inception of the "app."
Mhm isn't a app just a program that you download, install and use?

Apple did not invent this, it just prove their os isn't that crappy so it can support application from other developer.
I don't see the revolution in the appstore, exept maybe the fact that you have to pay for most of the program.

IM0001

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
The mini's are fun for a short "get in and play" moment, but nothing to really get into. Sony really needs to get in with the Indy game designers and do like X360 with their arcade and other games. I own all 4 platforms PS3, Wii, 360, PC, (and PSP if you want mobile) and they all have their positives and negitives. PS3 still has a lot going for it but they do have a disadvantage with the small game crowd. If they pick up a Indy title licence like Xbox then that will definitly boost its market.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
why would i pay £5-10 for a mini game

when after a year or two the cost of full games goes down to reval this

for example i was in the shop the other day and mirriors egde and assasins creed were both under £10 (assasins was £5)

when you consider some games like heavenly sword were recomended by friends as not to buy and to rent becasue you could complete them in a day i see no reason to buy a mini

unless you buy a game for the mutiplayer, would you play a game over and over after you have got everything the game offers?

i know i certainly wouldn't

Status
Not open for further replies.