PlayStation Move Uses Just 2MB of System RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
When the Wii was launched it was heralded by Microsoft and Sony as a gimmick, just a passing fad and a toy. Now we find both of them shamelessly and openly copying the Wiimote. It just shows how right Nintendo got it.

mikeadelic

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
[citation][nom]tomtompiper[/nom]When the Wii was launched it was heralded by Microsoft and Sony as a gimmick, just a passing fad and a toy. Now we find both of them shamelessly and openly copying the Wiimote. It just shows how right Nintendo got it.[/citation]
I can understand what you're saying about Sony's Move... but how the hell is Natal copying the Wii? They even demonstrated the Natal concept in the Ewan McGregor/Scarlett Johansson movie 'The Island', which was released well over a year before Nintendo Wii, in 2005.

Fanboy fail.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Interesting, if this gadget was on a PC I bet the program would be bloated out to 20 or 30 megabytes. This tells me efficient coding is still around, another reason I like Linux on my laptop.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Mikeadelic[/nom]I can understand what you're saying about Sony's Move... but how the hell is Natal copying the Wii? They even demonstrated the Natal concept in the Ewan McGregor/Scarlett Johansson movie 'The Island', which was released well over a year before Nintendo Wii, in 2005.Fanboy fail.[/citation]
Any fool can put together a concept briefing. M$ has spies and knew what Nintendo was up to so they do some public briefing to cover their arses if they decide to copy them, enough said about the convicted monopilist Microsoft. No, I don't own a Wii.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Hmmmm....At first I thought the low memory usage was pretty cool until I read the part about required processing power. It will be interesting to see what Sony has to say.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]tomtompiper[/nom]When the Wii was launched it was heralded by Microsoft and Sony as a gimmick, just a passing fad and a toy. Now we find both of them shamelessly and openly copying the Wiimote. It just shows how right Nintendo got it.[/citation]

I'll agree with you on the Sony copying part. Sony hasnt just copied the Wiimote to an ugly extend but it copied XBL and everything else that's helped make OS3 interesting this whole gen is Sony copying ideas the past 2-3 years.

One thing though. Whats Natal got to do with all this? Natal has nothing similar at all with anything thats been released so far.

kyzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
I'd imagine that the cell has plenty of spare grunt, 6 cell cores + the 7th reserved for the O/S should leave enough for the motion calculations - it's not as though Sony is asking the gfx core to do the heavy lifting...

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
The argument between Wiimote (or Move or whatever you want to call it) and Natal reminds me of one of the bits from one of the Back to the Future films - main character shows some kids how to use an arcade game with gun things (I think) and their response is 'you have to use your hands? Rubbish' or some such.

At least by saying 'under one frame' they're saying there should be no noticable lag (that's how I'd read it) - although I suppose it doesn't also say "and the frames will still come as often rather than being 60spf"

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I'm more chuckling while M$ steps all over itself desperately trying to avoid having to offer or include in the next gen Xbox a Blue Ray player. I know everyone hates Blue Ray and Sony but to date mainstream consumer bandwidth is still isn't sufficient to replace BR as a 1080P high def source.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
When the PS3 first came out, there were few games to begin with. As that platform matured, more games were released, none of which to my knowledge could have effectively used a wand-type input controller device. The PS3 - like the Xbox 360 - was and is marketed to the adult and older adolescent male. The Wii on the other hand was and is marketed towards the family, women, and children. I personally don't give a damn what Wii users think of the new Sony controller.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
When the PS3 first came out, there were few games to begin with. As that platform matured, more games were released, none of which to my knowledge could have effectively used a wand-type input controller device. The PS3 - like the Xbox 360 - was and is marketed to the adult and older adolescent male. The Wii on the other hand was and is marketed towards the family, women, and children. I personally don't give a damn what Wii users think of the new Sony controller.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]kyzar[/nom]I'd imagine that the cell has plenty of spare grunt, 6 cell cores + the 7th reserved for the O/S should leave enough for the motion calculations - it's not as though Sony is asking the gfx core to do the heavy lifting...[/citation]
The problem with the Cell is that the SPEs have zero instruction capability on their own; they're basically 'dumb' SIMD units for the main core. So it's really not a lot of "available" power; it's just that the cores simply can't be usable at ALL in most applications, as the single real core in the chip isn't able to crank out enough instructions to keep the SPEs busy unless it's handling things like streaming media. (read: the SPEs were designed specifically for handling high-def movies. They were NEVER designed for gaming in the first place)

[citation][nom]10tacle[/nom]The PS3 - like the Xbox 360 - was and is marketed to the adult and older adolescent male. The Wii on the other hand was and is marketed towards the family, women, and children. I personally don't give a damn what Wii users think of the new Sony controller.[/citation]
Indeed, the 360/PS3 were marketed more toward the immature, late teens/20s males. Though that doesn't have anything to do with the games being "hardcore" or not; it just means that sexual references, crude jokes, and plenty of violence are required. (oh, and the only available colors are gray, brown, black, and muzzle flash/bloom) But having a rating that's higher than "E" doesn't make a game "hardcore," just like being E-rated doesn't make it NOT hardcore. "Hardcore" means more of a focus on skill-requiring gameplay... And while there's tons of Wii shovelware, a lot of Nintendo's own titles show that they've not lost their touch from when they distilled the type back in the 1980s; while Super Mario Galaxy may be far more colorful than any of the million Halo wannabe games, (that all mysteriously fall far short of how much a blast Halo is to play) it's one of the hardest games out there, particularly on a few of the later levels. (ironically, Halo itself isn't exactly a bleak-colored game; it's fairly colorful)

At any rate, it still remains that the PS3's "Move" is indeed a direct rip-off of the Wii's controller... It wouldn't have been so funny had Sony not gone for a few years calling the Wii's input method a "worthless gimmick." But alas, here we are, and Sony, as usual, winds up being hilariously hypocritical.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Efficiency is the way of the game great job Sony now it would have been nice had the console had 512mb of ram out side the gpu. The gpu however wasn't the best choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS