PlayStation Phone, PSP2 Could Be Same Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I believe I've read more to support the fact they're seperate. I think the PS Phone will be the last 'revision' of the PSP, and will come out 6 months+ before the PSP2 does. I think the PSP2 and PSPhone will each be aimed towards slightly different - but certainly overlapping markets.

I think if the PSP2 is going to go well (I think it will, but probably not as well as the 3DS) it'll probably have to focus on sheer epic handheld power.

renami9

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
A phone that can function as a PSP or its a PSP that can make phone calls, it doesn't matter to me, just make one already.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I would expect this to be similar to the way the market is split with the iPhone/iPod touch.

they will have a psp2, and a psphone. the latter being considerably more expensive (i hope not too expensive)

if this is real though, its certainly a new device, not another iteration of the psp. dual analogue is something sony vowed not to do in the psp, and they wouldnt cave so near the end of its lifecycle.

G

btw if you look at one of the other picture on engadget.com, the timer reads 1980 / 2/ 1 (1980 February 1st)

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]rotsae[/nom]btw if you look at one of the other picture on engadget.com, the timer reads 1980 / 2/ 1 (1980 February 1st)[/citation]

well how else am i gonna get calls in my delorean

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I basically don't care so long as the PSP2 is as powerful as rumoured (Tegra 2 etc).

I'm also failing to reconcile how the above image of the PSPhone will accommodate the rear mounted touch pad that has been circulating about the PSP2, it doesn't seem feasible in that current form factor.

To be honest, i just want a PSP2 with a 3G data connection so i can download stuff anywhere i want, i already have a phone that does everything i want it to do. Making the PSP2 into a phone means compromise, either make it small so its pocket friendly as a phone device or make it large to accommodate a bigger screen and help heat dissipation of more powerful internals.

Sony, just make sure the PSP2 has a 3G connection, PLEASE.

G

That's how powerful this baby is... if CPU usage gets up to 88%, you go back in time

I think they'll be separate devices too. It doesn't make sense to try to squeeze next gen tech into a phone form factor. You either make a powerful machine that is larger, or you compromise on power to get it into a slim device.

Hopefully, Sony are smart and do both. The PSP library is large enough to make a PS Phone worth buying, as long as it costs the same as other smart phones on the market. Keep the price point and functionality near to that of the Android smartphones, and the PSN library becomes a real system seller for a PS Phone

lassik

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
Hmm, I can't imagine the battery life being amazing, after a long session of gaming you realise your phone's dead/nearly dead and have to wait until you get to a charger to even use it again!

Nice idea, but it'll probably be an N-Gage 2.0...

G

this is just a sony ericsson vivazz smartphone picture mashed up with a fake controller pad. that's all ladies and gentlemen. don't get too excited.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I want to see this succeed.
I agree with the, "I'm not satisfied with EA's games for the iPhone."

I do want to be able to enjoy immersive titles on a portable gaming system as well.

If it does a good job being my portable gaming system, phone, mp3 player, and camera I feel pretty safe paying $300+ for it.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Currently i have an iphone...

If the PSP2 is also an android phone and a reasonable size (no bigger then the Galaxy), im in. In fact, I will wait in line weeks to get it!

Up here in Canada we only have two good smart phones, Iphone(s) and the Galaxy... The options are limited but at the same time i consider iphone and the Galaxy to be #1 and #2 (pick your order) ohhh and Blackberry... Does Blackberry count anymore?

psp2 with Android will just be fantastic... but size matters!

Misdissident

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
PSP2:
As long as I don't HAVE TO be tied to using the 3G/4G (or can avoid it all together and just use it as a portable wifi-powered Android device), that's fine. I'd question how they'd incorporate 3G/4G effectively into the PSP2 in regards to digital distribution, considering one is either paying at least 50 bucks a month (often much more than) for unlimited (or 'unlimited') data on a phone or one is either tied to having so many gigs of usage, which is an issue considering that PSP games already tread over the 1GB range and PSP2 games may use even more. Sony would be half obligated to use a physical format, which will add bulk to the device and in turn make it less viable of a phone.

I would much rather them ditch the phone part and just make a viable and very powerful multimedia/game device; Android (and relevant apps) can stay and could help mitigate the whole "psp is only useful when there's CFW for homebrews" ordeal, while Sony's proprietary game-centric Z-System could fully interact and integrate PSN and PSP with it for an immersive experience.
I feel like the PSP2 should be focusing on a very high resolution (touch)screen and graphics processing to combat against 3DS's advanced display features moreso than multimedia or phone features, however.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
They better have one hell of a battery in it to make sure I have enough juice to make a phone call after playing a game for a few hours. Last thing I think anyone would want is to have a short battery life on phone, even though it is considered a gaming device first.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Not sure if combining the two devices are a good thing for everyone. Great for phone buyers - but if you just want to play a game and not use its phone feature, then it would be an unnecessary feature driving costs up.

uronacid

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
I have to say, I'm looking forward to the PSP phone with Android. It will be the first time big league game developers are heavily encouraged to develop games for the Android platform. I wonder if Sony is working on it's own 3D engine for Android. I'm pretty psyched. This is good news for all Android phones. Developers will be come more familiar with the platform and higher quality games will be the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS