Playstation speakers set up.

Darkkensai

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015
Hi there. I'm looking for a set of speakers that I can plug both my pc and my ps4 into simultaneously. The pc doesn't seem to be an issue, but the ps4 has only hdmi and optical digital audio outputs. I am connected to my monitor with the hdmi, but the audio output on the monitor is broken, so I need a way to plug the ps4 directly into some speakers. Does anyone know of some fairly inexpensive speakers that have both a typical audio jack input (for the pc) and an optical digital audio input (for the ps4)?

Solution
if you wanted to use cheap speakers (such as pc speakers) then you might want to look into an optical to 3.5mm (or optical to rca red+white and just use an adapter to take that to 3.5mm) adapter (sometimes called an audio extractor). you would need self powered speakers (ones with an ac plug). there are also models which do the same thing but for hdmi (extracts analog stereo audio out and passes through hdmi to tv for video) keep in mind that this is generally going to be stereo sound only (so you would be using a 2.1 speaker set only) as the 5.1 extractor models are more expensive.

if you used a 3pole to 4pole adapter you may be able to plug them in to your controller's headset jack as well but this would limit your mobility so the...
if you wanted to use cheap speakers (such as pc speakers) then you might want to look into an optical to 3.5mm (or optical to rca red+white and just use an adapter to take that to 3.5mm) adapter (sometimes called an audio extractor). you would need self powered speakers (ones with an ac plug). there are also models which do the same thing but for hdmi (extracts analog stereo audio out and passes through hdmi to tv for video) keep in mind that this is generally going to be stereo sound only (so you would be using a 2.1 speaker set only) as the 5.1 extractor models are more expensive.

if you used a 3pole to 4pole adapter you may be able to plug them in to your controller's headset jack as well but this would limit your mobility so the other method is advised.

otherwise, you would need speakers which have an optical jack which would be around the price of the z906 which might be above budget. if you used one of the previous methods you could buy just about any self powered speaker such as the z313 or z323 which are rather inexpensive and use them.

Solution