Please help!I was trying to do a factory reset on my daughters Acer laptop. It was literally taking hours so I (probably w

Domin075

Estimable
Dec 7, 2015
was trying to do a factory reset on my daughters Acer laptop. It was literally taking hours so I (probably wrongly) assumed it had frozen. I took the battery out thinking that I could restart it...no every time the lap top is switched on it says no operating system found! I have tried using f8 to open operator mode but it does nothing except beep VERY LOUUDLY!
Is this a lost cause?

Solution
press F12 on startup and try to access the boot menu. If you can do this you can boot the machine from the DVD drive. I don't know if your harddrive partition with the operating system was corrupted or not, but you can get around this by directly installing the operating system from a DVD. You can usually burn one right off of the microsoft website. Your operating system key is usually on the bottom of the laptop.
You will then need to load all of the drivers for the laptop manually, which you can get off of the ACER website (it will ask for your laptops serial number). You will want to install the one for the network card first (you will have to download this with a different computer) so that you can then download the others...

margibso

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
press F12 on startup and try to access the boot menu. If you can do this you can boot the machine from the DVD drive. I don't know if your harddrive partition with the operating system was corrupted or not, but you can get around this by directly installing the operating system from a DVD. You can usually burn one right off of the microsoft website. Your operating system key is usually on the bottom of the laptop.
You will then need to load all of the drivers for the laptop manually, which you can get off of the ACER website (it will ask for your laptops serial number). You will want to install the one for the network card first (you will have to download this with a different computer) so that you can then download the others directly onto the laptop.
It's a pain, but you are not stuck.

Solution