Question Please help me with my new M507-G1 TV

Xboxerj

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2015
Good evening. I just purchased a M507-G1 Vizio Quantum yesterday and I am having some issues with linking my soundbar. If anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate it.

I have an LG LAS551H and a SK6Y sound bar. The SK6Y is the newest and I had both previously hooked up via ARC to a Samsung 49MU6290. I had great sound on both and the LAS551H would sit at about level 12 and 30 out of 100 would boom. The SK6Y would usually also get to level 12 and boom at about 27.

Yesterday I purchased the Vizio Quantum and connected the SK6Y via ARC. The sound comes out a lot more muted through both bars, as I tested both, than they did on the Samsung. The LAS needs to be set about 25 and the sound doesn't change much up until 80 now. The SK6Y needs to be at 24 to be where it would normally have been at 12, and that tops out at 40. This happens when using my DVR and my Samsung Blu-Ray player.

I contacted Vizio last night and they told me to call LG as they could not help me. I called LG and they said since both bars worked on my Samsung fine, and I also have a Panasonic Viera (goodness, I'm getting old) that it worked with also that it must be something with the Vizio. I called Vizio again and they said they could not help as they didn't want to 'mess up' the settings on my bar and that was it.

Here is where it gets weird. I have a Nintendo Switch hooked up via the input on the soundbar and that is fine at about 14. I watched Youtube via Smartcast and suddenly the 14 boomed! When I went back to normal TV, though, as well as through the Blu-Ray the sound was muted.

I am confused by this. I have good sound directly through the bar (switch) an through the apps but via any input into the TV I get low volume. I tried changing from PCM to Dolby, changing to an optical cable, changing HDMI cords (as they are all high speed cables with ethernet and all worked before) and the only thing that made a difference to get where I am now was to change to PCM.

I contacted Vizio again this morning and the gentleman I spoke with did a 180 from the woman last night. He was helpful, professional and took the time to go through some steps. He determined that they would send out a repairperson to see what could be done.

The closest I came to any issue such as this was when I hooked the LG bars to the Samsung TV when trying to use Hulu (or any app) through Samsung's smart TV itself we had volume issues. Samsung's techs replaced the main board and it still happened which they could only attribute to the bar and the TV not communicating well and causing a hiccup.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated. While I admit I am no audiophile I never had trouble and always did fine connecting equipment before. The TV was exactly what I wanted (as I needed 4 HDMI ports and have had zero luck with switches over the years) and the price was good to boot. But especially considering I just purchased the SK6Y a couple of weeks ago and I'm not getting good sound I'm not sure what to do next.

Last edited:
First off disregard the volume setting numbers. The new TV obviously has the digital data set to a lower volume (or has less compression). Just so long as you can get it loud enough for you the setting doesn't mean anything.
As for the "booming out". A good soundbar or sound system should sound the same at all volumes. Your old TV may have had some sound options that your new one doesn't or may not be turned. Check the audio menu.

Xboxerj

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2015
Thank you for responding. I might not have described it well but when I said it boomed I meant that the sound was loud and able to easily fill the room as opposed to the previous setting. Not sounding different just at a louder volume than expected.

I work out on my treadmill daily and watch TV while doing so. I usually have to turn the sound on the SKY6 to about 15 to hear the TV over the treadmill. I had it up to 37 out of 40 today and it was still lacking.

I decided to just take it back as I wasn't sure what it was. If it was an issue with the TV then by the time the repairperson came out and say, had to order a part, if it didn't change then it would be outside Best Buy's return period.

I have the 2012 Panasonic hooked up right now until I get a new one via Arc and the bar is comfortably set at 12 just like the Samsung was. I didn't know tvs could have the digital data set to a lower volume or less compression.

Perhaps the Vizio, for its features and its price compared to the competitors, is too good to be true. I don’t want to get stuck with a product that might not need fixing but still doesn't feel right. Best Buy was great at giving me a refund and the Geek Squad Member said I could try another of the same model. I just didn’t want to go through the hassle of taking another home, unpacking, setting up, disassembling, repacking and driving back to the store if need be.

I see there are Samsung models with 4 hdmi ports for about $600 compared to the $400 that the Vizio was. I am hoping to pull the trigger on a Samsung soon and especially with how it sounded on the MU6290 it will work out much better for me.

Any other thoughts on this? Thoughts on Samsung vs. Vizio? Have a great evening and hope to hear from you soon.