Power Adapter Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosh112

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Can different power adapters with different outputs work correctly for a specific Dell laptop?

My friend is using with her Dell Vostro 1000 laptop a PA-10 adapter, instead of the specified PA-12. Can that cause any problem?

The plug is the same on both models. The PA-12 provides, (according to the specs, this is the standard charger for Vostro 1000) 19.5 volts DC, 3.34 A continuous, and provides 65 watts.

The PA-10 provides 19.5 volts DC, 4.62 A (max), provides 90 watts. What's the deal? Is this one okay to use?

G

90 Watt version will be safe to use. The problem arises when you use a lower wattage adapter with a laptop looking for a higher -- with Dell, the computer usually puts up an onscreen warning that it will cycle down to a lower speed.

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Hmmmmmmmm. I have to differ to the above comment . Out of experience, I'd say that she's going to have a blown rectifier in sometime, that's when her Battery is not going to charge itself when connected to the power outlet.
The laptop will function ok when plugged in, but , her battery and it's charging is going to hit is life cycle really fast as compared to the standard life cycle .....
by now she already should be finding the laptop heating up pretty soon after being plugged in.....

G

If this is right don't risk it, get the correct power supply for the laptop. My own experience is that the correct voltage is safe regardless of wattage -- but it's not my computer so I can't recommend you risk it.

mosh112

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Thanks for comments. I will check out heat situation, charging info, etc. and post back. I wonder if the Windows "charging meter" (in the system notification area) is reliable; it should eventually show 100% charged, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS