Feb 9, 2018
llo,
I have a HP Pavillion DV7 that wont charge any more but will run on power supply.Have tried new batteries and new power supply and had it looked at by a pro with no luck so save virtually given up on solving that one.My question is will it run on a power bank or does a power bank just charge the battery(the one that wont charge)Have seen a few for sale in the$100-$150 range and they say they will power it but I thought i would ask the intelligent folk here.How long would it run for? Does anyone have any experience in this.

Solution
Seems like a damaged connection between the battery and the laptop internals if the battery itself works. I would recommend taking it to someone who is trained in laptop repair.

If you don't want to try to fix the battery connection issue, an external battery may work as it seems your DC jack works. Something like this would work:

https://www.amazon.com/MAXOAK-50000mAh-Portable-External-Notebook-Most/dp/B00YP823NA/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1518222123&sr=1-3&keywords=laptop%27s+External+Battery+Charger

The problem with the power brick idea is they are designed to be used as a battery charger but not as a wireless DC power supply essentially. Not sure how good the battery life would be using the brick for DC power assuming...

jr9

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
A new battery and charging cable will fix all issues related to laptop power unless they were incorrectly installed or the wrong model. These two devices are the sole power supply sources for the laptop. It can't be any other part like the CPU at fault for that kind of issue. I'd consider taking it to someone else. A compatible battery replacement should solve this problem 9/10 times.

jr9

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
Seems like a damaged connection between the battery and the laptop internals if the battery itself works. I would recommend taking it to someone who is trained in laptop repair.

If you don't want to try to fix the battery connection issue, an external battery may work as it seems your DC jack works. Something like this would work:

https://www.amazon.com/MAXOAK-50000mAh-Portable-External-Notebook-Most/dp/B00YP823NA/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1518222123&sr=1-3&keywords=laptop%27s+External+Battery+Charger

The problem with the power brick idea is they are designed to be used as a battery charger but not as a wireless DC power supply essentially. Not sure how good the battery life would be using the brick for DC power assuming if it even works with no working laptop battery. I've never seen someone use an external charger as their laptop battery.

Solution