Power Cut: Jimmy Kimmel Does Show on Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Fool! Now that the network execs know he can do his show with a laptop while acting as his own camera man, they'll cut his budget. After all, its a recession and profits have been down and so forth...

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Friend just picked up a MacPro 15" after using DIY PC for more than 10 years and he loves the battery life. I still stick with ThinkPad but general notebooks are crap.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
My G60 asus 15" gaming laptop is a great balance between battery life, power and portability. Its not as huge as a 17" sager or alienware desktop replacement, but it can still crank out the latest 3D games like BF:BC2 and left for dead2 on max settings with great FPS. If I need to use it for web surfing or something while unplugged on the go, still gets hours of life out of it before needing to recharge. Best laptop I've ever owned.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
[citation][nom]vicskyline96[/nom]wait, but how is he still powering all the other microphone and lighting equipment?[/citation]

The article states that they still had SOME power, just not to the critical production areas.

ianpac

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
This is a fraud, they could easily have powered just one TV camera or even just used handheld cameras. These studios have handhelds available for exterior shots.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
For those calling BS, not necessarily. Having been in places where power outages are common, lights are always one of the first things on the list for critical things, due to safety. Others include security doors and alarms. It's not about the wattage or power, it's about what circuit they're connected to, and outlets and things like cameras wouldn't be connected to a circuit marked as critical.

super_tycoon

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
"Guys, I'm recording this on my notebook, so will you please STOP F***ING SCREAMING WHEN I'M TRYING TO RECORD MY STUPID TV SHOW?!?!?"

nukemaster

Distinguished
Very strange that power could not be routed from elsewhere. As for its about safety, Yes most places DO have lights as a priority, but not ALL lights. Select lights make sense(enough to see with, not the full stage).

logitic

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Yep going to call BS, I worked in production for years, and it is true stage lights are on a separate power unit then floor power. But the mic he is using would be on floor power. SO it is total BS!

G

power out but light still working?
Just plug the cam in the light circuit then!

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Also call BS, they would have at least a couple of handheld battery powered camcorders (as mentioned, for exterior shots). Wouldn't have taken more than 30 minutes to go pick a new portable camera up anyways.

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I don't think its BS .. you can have multiple circuits and have an isolated failure .. to Jerry Rig or to link one circuit to another just for the sake of power could cause a cascade effect that would bring other systems down... And even if it was a publicity stunt... So what... he pulled it off THis may not set well with the Union Shops though...

m-manla

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Those are some bright emergency lights!!! I think this is just to see if people like to stream the show on a webcam. Emergency lights are different from the stage lightning that is show. The show would of otherwise got cancel.

Status
Not open for further replies.