Power-off Retract Count increases with every restart after inserting HDD into CADDY

SeyedAhmad

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016
when I inserted my HGST HDD into the caddy bay, whenever I restart my laptop the Power-off Retract Count or unsafe shutdowns of s.m.a.r.t increases by one, but it will not increase when I just shut down the laptop it just happens in a restart.

another point to note is that when I restart, I hear a click sound from my HDD that indicates Power-off Retract Count is increased. when I put the HDD back into the main SATA port of the laptop it works fine and the value of the attribute does not increases.

by the way, I have windows 10, drivers, bios, and windows are updated and I have AHCI set in bios (i can't change it cause there are no options in the bios to select. )

could you please help me find out the problem and fix this?

Solution
I have the same issue with my Asus N56VZ with 250GB SSD in the main hdd section and 1TB 5400rpm hdd in optical drive hdd slot. I have searched all of the internet but could not find anything. I have this problem since 4 years. At first in 2014 i have found a solution but did not give it a try.

I think the mainboard still thinks that it is a optical dvd drive and so it is not cutting the power while restarting the system.
Sep 29, 2018
I have the same issue with my Asus N56VZ with 250GB SSD in the main hdd section and 1TB 5400rpm hdd in optical drive hdd slot. I have searched all of the internet but could not find anything. I have this problem since 4 years. At first in 2014 i have found a solution but did not give it a try.

I think the mainboard still thinks that it is a optical dvd drive and so it is not cutting the power while restarting the system.

Solution
Sep 29, 2018
I have found a solution for that. I changed the drives places, put ssd on optical drive slot and hdd to main hdd slot n laptop. But this caused read/write speed decrease of ssd.