Solved! Power Supply Rubber Cord Ripping DIY Fix?

davidva

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Hello everyone.

I have a question about "repairing" my power supply cord.

Basically the part of the cord which connects from the laptop to the power supply, the very tip, the rubber outer casing has ripped and I can see lots of small metallic cords which I'm sure are not supposed to touch the outside elements.

I bought electrical tape today, is my best option to simply wrap around the part that is coming off?

I hope this makes sense to people. I can take a picture of what I'm referring to if that helps.

Solution
On that tip, you don't want to use any tape as it will wear off from use. The only time you'd want to use electrical tape is there is a tear in the cable itself. Power supply cords are cheap, spend $10-20 on one or risk frying your computer or starting a fire. Not a very hard decision I would think :)

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

A good sharp picture maybe from a couple of different angles would be best for folks to better assess the damage and offer the proper (and safest) solutions.

---Max

On that tip, you don't want to use any tape as it will wear off from use. The only time you'd want to use electrical tape is there is a tear in the cable itself. Power supply cords are cheap, spend $10-20 on one or risk frying your computer or starting a fire. Not a very hard decision I would think :)

Solution

Crashman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, vinyl mender might work. The wires you're seeing are probably ground wires. If you use any type of vinyl cement you'll probably have to hold the crack "closed" for a while before the pieces stick "permanently".

TitusFFX

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
If it's the base cord that you plug into the wall you can proble go to a local computer repair place and buy a replacement from an used one for a few dollars. Had to do that was an HP laptop I had to fix and noticed it was missing a grounding pin... it ended up running for 4.00. But overall it's safer to find a replacement if it's the cable that leads up to the computer it self.