Pre-Order Acer's Windows 7 Tablet for $549

Status
Not open for further replies.

teknic111

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Why, When I can buy an iPad for $499! If companies want to compete with the iPad, they need to introduce an inferior product at an inferior price...Even if that means selling their product at a loss in the beginning.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
We expect some detailed reviews from Toms on each of these tablets.
Also, expecting some articles regarding their "blendability", as well as other non-technical stuff.
Each tablet should get as much press as the Apple one gets. Every single app, every single hardware spec detailed and reviewed.
Can it be done, so one can objectively select a product based on these reviews? Yes.
Will it be done? Probably not. We have been getting one, max. 2 articles referring to products other than Apple's, so I don't really expect anything different.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]teknic111[/nom]Why, When I can buy an iPad for $499! If companies want to compete with the iPad, they need to introduce an inferior product at an inferior price...Even if that means selling their product at a loss in the beginning.[/citation]

This is a superior product at a superior price.

Regardless of which you prefer, the manufacturing of this tablet will cost a lot more. This price is very reasonable if the tablet itself ends up being decent.

What will end up making or breaking this tablet, like all Windows tablets, is battery life. 6 hours is a minimum. Viliv has been delivering that for years in a 5" screen tablet. Speed does not help much when its fast for a very short time with a mobile device.

dorkusm

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
FINALLY, someone get's it! A better product at a competitive price! Why have a half ass OS when you can have a FULL OS???

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I doubt that operating Windows 7 with your fingers on a 10" touchscreen is a good experience.

Tablets with desktop operating systems have always been a niche market and I don't think this is ever going to change.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]dorkusm[/nom]FINALLY, someone get's it! A better product at a competitive price! Why have a half ass OS when you can have a FULL OS???[/citation]

"full" OSs like Windows or Mac OS are designed to be used with mouse&keyboard and so are all applications available for them.
What's the point of having a full OS on a 10" tablet if your fingers are too big to press a button or menu item?

CyberAngel

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
I'll wait 'til Win8 shows up.
It's designed for tablet usage while Win7 is not
2011 Xmas time might be very very profitable for tablet makers...

jdamon113

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
There is not market and audiance for a tablet, its a apple thing. Acer, HP, nvidia, google.
I do not care what is on the label, the market is Apple not anything else. Even if its the best dam pice of hardware put together.... Companies need to know, they are chasing shadows.
remember the Dell Axim, figure 10 years ago it was awesome, dam awesome. But there was never a market for the item. GONE> all the tablets that do not say IPAD will fail, it has nothing to do with the hardware or design.

teknic111

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]jdamon113[/nom]There is not market and audiance for a tablet, its a apple thing. Acer, HP, nvidia, google.I do not care what is on the label, the market is Apple not anything else. Even if its the best dam pice of hardware put together.... Companies need to know, they are chasing shadows.remember the Dell Axim, figure 10 years ago it was awesome, dam awesome. But there was never a market for the item. GONE> all the tablets that do not say IPAD will fail, it has nothing to do with the hardware or design.[/citation]
Agreed! Apple has already won this market. Other companies need to focus on building the next thing, because Apple already has this one in the bag!

G

They also said that about the iPhone, and they were wrong. Android now leads the smartphone pack. It'll take a couple years, but Android, eventually, will be the leader in the tablet field. It's only a matter of time.

G

""full" OSs like Windows or Mac OS are designed to be used with mouse&keyboard and so are all applications available for them."

That's what the keyboard is for. Just attach a USB mouse. Now you can run all those desktop apps, plus use it as a tablet when light duty is all that's needed. (I would have bought an iPad if it would do more than just look pretty.Unfortunately I can't get any real work done on one.)

This gives you the best of both worlds.... if it's got the battery life necesssary. Whether a full scale OS demands too much power is the only question.

G

Windows tablets have been around for YEARS, and have gotten absolutely no traction in consumer space. This one won't be any different.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]thusly[/nom]This gives you the best of both worlds.... if it's got the battery life necesssary. Whether a full scale OS demands too much power is the only question.[/citation]

It gives u a bit of both worlds but not the best of both worlds.
The lack of a trackpad and slow hardware makes it worse than a laptop/netbook and the lack of purpose made tablet applications makes it a bad tablet.

I really don't see why you would buy this over a $650 laptop.

btw: What limits battery life is the x86 architecture, not the OS itself.

hmohniii

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
[citation][nom]joeyjabroni[/nom]They also said that about the iPhone, and they were wrong. Android now leads the smartphone pack. It'll take a couple years, but Android, eventually, will be the leader in the tablet field. It's only a matter of time.[/citation]

iPhone was also only limited to one (crappy) carrier, AT&T. This is the biggest reason why the iPhone failed. Yes, it is Apples fault. Tablets are different though, as it isn't dependant upon a wireless network...yes, there are the 3g iPads, but you still have wifi, that and WIFI only fits my needs perfectly. Android was available on pretty much any carrier you wanted, thus their success... so my point being is that this is a completely different battlefield.

G

I wonder which Windows 7 is running on it. Wndows basic? Wndows phone? I don't see where this has the room for a battery to keep a full Windows7 install up and running for more than an hour.

paue888

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Eventually all tablet will have superior OSs. Windows Tablet has chosen various a win 7 variants (tiny 7), Google is preparing a Chrome OS (Android days are numbered) and there are rumors that apple will need to resort to a Mac OS Tablet OS. Hardware aside, all competitors seem to be coming very close to each other, what OS is best for this Market ?

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]teknic111[/nom]Why, When I can buy an iPad for $499! If companies want to compete with the iPad, they need to introduce an inferior product at an inferior price...Even if that means selling their product at a loss in the beginning.[/citation]
$499 for a toy is expensive, $549 for a PC isn't so.

G

The issue with Windows tablet is less a software issue but a hardware one. Intel has never been able to produce a chip with x86 backward compatibility and yet run with great battery life and little heat. Sure Microsoft will be able to change its interface to touch friendly, but it will need to run on a platform with no backward compatibility to existing applications in order to have great battery life. And without backward compatibility, what exactly does Windows strength really is?

Meanwhile, Apple and Google is acting stupid by controlling the developers. If they open up more, lots of great applications will find their ways into iOS and Android even faster and will undermine MS/Intel dominance. Just look at what media format Apple is able to support. We need a KLite!

Status
Not open for further replies.