Precision M4600 brightness and backlight issue

Nick501

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
I have a Dell Precision M4600 laptop and it runs great I have all of the drivers installed, yet it won't allow me to control the brightness once I get into windows through the keyboard (Up until Windows boots it allows me to do so) I'm running Windows 10 Pro

It also interestingly will not do anything when I attempt to turn on the backlighting for the keyboard using the FN and then the right arrow key that is marked to turn it on. The BIOS allows me to predefine the brightness for whether or not it is plugged into battery or charger, and yet I can't adjust this while I'm in windows but it does display the brightness as "Changing" in Windows.

Solution
Did you check the BIOS settings again after flashing?

Check your troubleshooting options here for the backlit keyboard:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/au/en/aubsd1/sln153665/how-to-troubleshoot-the-backlit-keyboard-on-your-dell-notebook-computer?lang=en#Backlit_Keyboard_settings_Pre

If that does no good then I would be contacting Dell Support ... even if your support period has run out you can usually talk them into giving you some pointers that might help solve the issue ... you just gotta say the right things to 'em E.g., well I won't be recommending Dell systems to any more of my multiple clients in future if you can't assist me with such a "minor" problem.

Don't misunderstand my "minor" problem reference above either, I...

Cloudy1

Honorable
Jan 21, 2016
I know you have said you have all the drivers installed but ...

Please check Device Manager -> Monitors -> and ensure that Generic PnP monitor is enabled and also hit the Update Driver option while you're at.

While still in Device Manager, open the Display Adapters section and let us know what you are using there.

Nick501

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

The display adapter is a Radeon HD 6700 series (FirePro running gaming drivers) and the display confirms that it is in fact enabled, and does not require an update.

Cloudy1

Honorable
Jan 21, 2016
So the graphics drivers are up to date - I will assume you also checked that the Generic PnP Monitor is enabled and checked for updates there also.

So ... different model computer but a referring theme with AMD Graphics and Windows 10 ... try the following registry edits (as you would no doubt be aware ...be sure to make a copy of the current Registry as a backup settings file prior to any Registry edits in case anything goes horribly wrong):

https://superuser.com/questions/1123251/laptop-brightness-adjustment-not-working-amd-graphics-card

Let us know how you go - cheers

Nick501

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

I managed to get the brightness working thankfully, I ended up just reflashing the whole BIOS and it works now, but the backlight on the keyboard is still completely unresponsive, and it did work before (I had to re-image the system a little while back due to the hard drive failing) and it completely beats me as to why it won't work anymore as I'm sure there's nothing physically wrong with it.

Cloudy1

Honorable
Jan 21, 2016
Did you check the BIOS settings again after flashing?

Check your troubleshooting options here for the backlit keyboard:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/au/en/aubsd1/sln153665/how-to-troubleshoot-the-backlit-keyboard-on-your-dell-notebook-computer?lang=en#Backlit_Keyboard_settings_Pre

If that does no good then I would be contacting Dell Support ... even if your support period has run out you can usually talk them into giving you some pointers that might help solve the issue ... you just gotta say the right things to 'em E.g., well I won't be recommending Dell systems to any more of my multiple clients in future if you can't assist me with such a "minor" problem.

Don't misunderstand my "minor" problem reference above either, I understand it is a major problem to you as I also like EVERYTHING working which should and/or once did.

Good luck mate.

Solution