preparing automatic repair loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deborah_30

Prominent
Mar 8, 2017
HELP!!!! a couple of days ago while going through my Toshiba laptop that my 17 year old has been for the most part been the only one using a popup said that windows installed new updates and neede to restart so I restarted it. Well needless to say that once it restarted I got the message "Scanning and repairing drive C:' then another black screen says "Preparing automatic repair" finally blue screen that staes "windows Defender is offline" and finally runs windows defender quick scan all the way to 100% only to reboot and start the process again. This has been going on for a total of 3 full days!!! I've tried system restore only to find out it can not be completed because of unknown error. Please help there are alot of pictures that my daughter has saved (without backing up) for her high school graduation in a couple of months.

Solution
If data rescue is more important than fixing the system, I suggest removing the hard disk and slave it to another PC or laptop using a USB cable you can buy in any PC store.

While the disk is connected that way and after retrieving the important files first and all the others afterwards, run Windows Checkdisk to see if there are any disk errors.
In the Command Form and at the prompt, type
chkdsk x: /r
where x is the drive letter it's been assigned. Hit the Enter key and let it run. The /r switch should fix any errors it finds but it may take more than an hour.

Then it can go back into its own machine. Post back if it still fails. We aren't out of ideas yet.
If data rescue is more important than fixing the system, I suggest removing the hard disk and slave it to another PC or laptop using a USB cable you can buy in any PC store.

While the disk is connected that way and after retrieving the important files first and all the others afterwards, run Windows Checkdisk to see if there are any disk errors.
In the Command Form and at the prompt, type
chkdsk x: /r
where x is the drive letter it's been assigned. Hit the Enter key and let it run. The /r switch should fix any errors it finds but it may take more than an hour.

Then it can go back into its own machine. Post back if it still fails. We aren't out of ideas yet.

Solution

Sweetthing55

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017

How do you do what is stated above if you can't get to the cammand form?

Status
Not open for further replies.