President Obama Intros Consumer Privacy Bill of Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

keyanf

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
So what article of the constitution does the federal government get the power to enact this law?

Oh right, we live in a post Wickard v. Filburn world.

divad1978

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
How exactly does this promote freedom by forcing the businesses to operate their business in a way that they may not want to? You have freedom not to do business with companies that do things you don't like and refuse to change. You shouldn't be given a false right though to force them against their will to comply.

And no the federal government does not have a constitutional power to do this much like everything else they do.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]keyanf[/nom]So what article of the constitution does the federal government get the power to enact this law?Oh right, we live in a post Wickard v. Filburn world.[/citation]
i read the summery of the wiki... and it sickens me... how can anyone ever be patriotic?

G

divad, the constitution protects the individual. Read it some time before you go spouting off about it. The government has the right to protect the individual. Saying it isn't freedom because it limits a company from exploiting your freedom is just like saying the government has no right to detain terrorists who attempt to bomb US property. I mean, after all, we're taking away their freedom to bomb us! People pervert the word freedom so much that it has no meaning whatsoever. If everyone had 'freedom', then why would we have laws in the first place? Everyone would have the right to do whatever they wanted to whomeveror whatever they wanted whenever they wanted. Isn't that freedom? Unfortunately, it is not how a REPUBLIC is run. Try reading what the term republic means and what the term democracy means and then understand that the USA is a democratic republic. Once you have put those two terms together, actually read the constitution, and then get back to us. Please don't come back until you've done so though. Flunking 5th grade civics has not done you well sir.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]GoodGriefDilbert[/nom]divad, the constitution protects the individual. Read it some time before you go spouting off about it. The government has the right to protect the individual. Saying it isn't freedom because it limits a company from exploiting your freedom is just like saying the government has no right to detain terrorists who attempt to bomb US property. I mean, after all, we're taking away their freedom to bomb us! People pervert the word freedom so much that it has no meaning whatsoever. If everyone had 'freedom', then why would we have laws in the first place? Everyone would have the right to do whatever they wanted to whomeveror whatever they wanted whenever they wanted. Isn't that freedom? Unfortunately, it is not how a REPUBLIC is run. Try reading what the term republic means and what the term democracy means and then understand that the USA is a democratic republic. Once you have put those two terms together, actually read the constitution, and then get back to us. Please don't come back until you've done so though. Flunking 5th grade civics has not done you well sir.[/citation]

they aren't forcing us to give them information, or to use their products to track us.
the fast that we in general are so stupid and need a babysitter really saddens me... why is it that i have never read anything about people that hasn't sickened me, or depressed me... why cant people rise above my extremely low expectations of them?

greenrider02

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
It's a good thing for people who don't know better... just the same as they make car companies enforce safety standards, because you don't expect everyone who drives a car to even remotely know how everything in it works.

At the same time, this is going to hurt a lot of advertising and info-selling businesses that make big bucks on the web doing their morally ambiguous info-trading.

I'm just waiting for someone to start throwing out the "job-killer" label...

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
They need one of these for the credit tracking companies. It is a major pain to get anything that's false in your credit report corrected, if you ever actually get it corrected.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Also I find it amusing that they would choose to name it after a document that they themselves do not even acknowledge the existance of most of the time, let alone follow.

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
[citation][nom]divad1978[/nom]How exactly does this promote freedom by forcing the businesses to operate their business in a way that they may not want to? You have freedom not to do business with companies that do things you don't like and refuse to change. You shouldn't be given a false right though to force them against their will to comply.And no the federal government does not have a constitutional power to do this much like everything else they do.[/citation]

Except pretty much every company is low enough to be dealing our information, so there really aren't any "other" companies to do business with. Should I just not ever go on any website ever again? Because they're pretty much all tracking you.

G

In the mean time, i will just use Firefox with add-ons to protect my privacy: Noscript, Ghostery, Adblock, Better Privacy, WOT, Flagfox, and FlashBlock. Much safer than Google Chrome.

tlmck

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
How about some compensation for the use of "my" personal data. Either that or allow me to file theft charges.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]fonzy[/nom]I still won't feel safe until Ron Paul is President.[/citation]
i hear you man....RON PAUL for president

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Did you watch Colbert Report on what Target knows about you?

They are so deadly accurate about major life events, that they sent pregnancy related advertising to a family before the knocked up daughter told her dad about it....

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]greenrider02[/nom]It's a good thing for people who don't know better... just the same as they make car companies enforce safety standards, because you don't expect everyone who drives a car to even remotely know how everything in it works.At the same time, this is going to hurt a lot of advertising and info-selling businesses that make big bucks on the web doing their morally ambiguous info-trading.I'm just waiting for someone to start throwing out the "job-killer" label...[/citation]

people make full time jobs because they sell advertising, and google gives us mountains of services because of ads, i dont care if where i brows the web is tracked so long as its just the places i go and not the content i seak out, so long as i get to use google services, and many websites for free due to the ads.

[citation][nom]Genericuser[/nom]Except pretty much every company is low enough to be dealing our information, so there really aren't any "other" companies to do business with. Should I just not ever go on any website ever again? Because they're pretty much all tracking you.[/citation]

google makes a few extra $ because they sell my info, they give me a decent chat program and 10 person video chat, for free... they single handedly forced email into the gb range, and are also giveing free web hosting. they help every one on the internet, and they make their money through ads and selling info... i see it as a worthy cause.

[citation][nom]bunnywanny[/nom]In the mean time, i will just use Firefox with add-ons to protect my privacy: Noscript, Ghostery, Adblock, Better Privacy, WOT, Flagfox, and FlashBlock. Much safer than Google Chrome.[/citation]

i use no script because many adds that arent google eat the crap out of system resources, and flash block because it had a habbit of useing WAY to much resources... beyond that, you are just paranoid.

[citation][nom]tlmck[/nom]How about some compensation for the use of "my" personal data. Either that or allow me to file theft charges.[/citation]

do you have to pay for google?
youtube?
how about gmail? they made using gb the standard of email, they also have free pop3 or something like that, untill gmail, that was a pay service.

elfsun

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
I really didn't care if there werewolf others watching me when I surf the Internet before, because I didn't know, even didn't realized such things. But since I know I can be tracked by so many people. I do care.
I have installed Do Not track plus in all my browsers.(except the Avant browser which cannot show the button) and I'm glad google will add the not-track button in chrome.
Hope other browser will add this button too and ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.