Princeton Kicks Flakey Apple iPads Off Network

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
The iPad users are lucky the Princeton techs didn't tell them, "Our network is fine, your iPad is the problem, take it up with Apple."

ivan_chess

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Obviously its the IP model that is at fault and NOT the iPad. The IP model has only been keeping the internet up and running for a few decades so its time to let Apple redesign it /SARCASM

G

First the Jerusalem Holy Land, and now Princeton University!...the iPad is terrible. Apple needs to go back to the drawing board. Just take your iPads back for a refund and get a tablet that lets you Print directly to Printers, take shots with built-in Video Cameras, works as an eReader, a Movie player, Multitask, everything a tablet should do and a laptop can do all in one: the HP Slate. Everyone knows the HP Slate is better than the iPad; give up already Apple.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]iPadisWeak[/nom]First the Jerusalem Holy Land, and now Princeton University!...the iPad is terrible. Apple needs to go back to the drawing board. Just take your iPads back for a refund and get a tablet that lets you Print directly to Printers, take shots with built-in Video Cameras, works as an eReader, a Movie player, Multitask, everything a tablet should do and a laptop can do all in one: the HP Slate. Everyone knows the HP Slate is better than the iPad; give up already Apple.[/citation]
Sadly, the fanboies will not understand this....

vcbb10

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Don't they have trouble with routers with the same SSID? At my old college, every router had the same SSID, so how does it work with that? Now it has more problems? Apparently you aren't suppose to learn on an iPad.

egidem

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
[citation][nom]vcbb10[/nom]Don't they have trouble with routers with the same SSID? At my old college, every router had the same SSID, so how does it work with that? Now it has more problems? Apparently you aren't suppose to learn on an iPad.[/citation]

That problem could easily be eliminated by chaining all those router Wifi signals...to create a single large network.

j51

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]iPadisWeak[/nom] everything a tablet should do and a laptop can do all in one: the HP Slate. Everyone knows the HP Slate is better than the iPad; give up already Apple.[/citation]

ugh.... HP Slate?.... you probably need to take a look of the early mini-review posted on Engadget/Conecti.ca: "." Yeah, ouch. Apparently the Slate's biggest strength is also its greatest weakness -- it's essentially a touchscreen netbook, and that means that while it can run everything including Flash, it can be "slow and annoying." "

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/19/hp-slate-leaks-its-way-into-the-wild-meh/

No matter how Hp says it... HP Slate is just a netbook with touch screen, and I have no interest in netbook level profermence even it runs everything.

I am defintely interested in HP's new business tablet (EliteBook 2740p)with i5 or i7 CPU,..... if I do have $2k to burn.

As much as I don't like the iPad, but at least it does good on what runs on it (well.... except the wifi issue). HP slate?..... meh...

Sometimes, if you want to be anything and cheap at the same time, it ends up as being nothing.... and I am afraid that is what HP Slate may end up to be.

j51

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
By the way.... if is HP Slate on Android... yes... I will be interested...

but windows 7?.... meh....

cashews

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Anouncement from Jobs: "As of OS4 we will no long be supporting IP addresses, as it causes Mac products to crash when connected to the internet."

G

As a temp work-around, they can get the DHCP server to ping an IP address before re-leasing out an IP address again. If there is a response from any device (like say an IPAD not releasing teh IP address), then the DHCP server will pass onto the next IP address and lease that out automatically. Hopefully they are not so short of IP addresses... Still fairly stupid of Apple not to spot that one though before releasing the product...

Brent_NC

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I am kind of bothered by this article and I think a lot of you are missing the bigger picture. I thought the people at Princeton were smart enough to avoid buying the iPad to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.