Problem Switching from Firefox to Chrome

dmcmillen

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Win 7, 64bit Home Edition, Firefox 59.0.2 (64bit), Chrome 66.0.3359.139 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I want to completely switch from Firefox to Chrome so I need to import ALL my Firefox data to Chrome including Browsing History, Favorites/Bookmarks, Saved Passwords, Search Engines and Autofill Form Data otherwise I cannot make the switch.

The method Google Chrome has implemented to accomplish this (and numerous help sites tell you how to do) is to go to "Import Bookmarks and Settings and choose Mozilla Firefox from the drop down menu. However, Firefox does not exist in the drop down menu, only MS Internet Explorer and Bookmarks HTML file. I did see that this was a Chrome bug in a previous beta version.

I have posted this on the Google Chrome Help Forum but the only help I get is to suggest I either export and import the bookmarks via an html file or reference a help article which tells me to do what I am already trying to do. I can't seem to get a Chrome technical person to look at this issue.

ko888

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
I'm using the same versions of the browsers that you're using. I can see it in the drop down list when running in Windows 10 or Windows 7:

Windows 10:
Google_Chrome_Import_Bookmarks_And_Settings.jpg

Windows 7:
Google_Chrome_Import_Bookmarks_And_Settings_Windows7.jpg

Backup your Firefox settings and try uninstalling and reinstalling both browsers.

dmcmillen

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Thanks ko888. Something strange going on. I thought it might be because Chrome hadn't caught up with FF Quantum yet. I have a Win 10 tablet that I could install Chrome on and see if it's there, but that doesn't really help me, because I must have on my Win 7 machine before I sync to the Win 10 machine. I need to switch because since upgrading to Quantum I am having some significant problems with runaway memory on FF with certain websites. Runaway where it chews up all the memory on the machine (16Gb), crashes FF, and then forces me to reboot the machine due to memory problems. I've been a FF user since the beginning.

dmcmillen

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
ko888, I have done rigorous testing with and without extensions, with a different profile, multi-threaded vs single threaded and the problem persists. It defintely started for me with Quantum and it is definitely firefox because I can watch the firefox.exe process or processes (it ususally the main ff process) that will take off and begin to chew up memory at an alarming rate. In testing I will kill FF when it takes about 10GB so as not to cause system problems. As the memory consumption takes off, you can watch the number of entries and storage rise in about:cache?device=memory. It appears to happen when accessing journalistic websites that utilize a lot of ads and video, but not necessarily. Although I have been a FF user since the beginning, I need to get on with my work, so at this point I would rather switch browsers.

dmcmillen

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Alabalcho, I couldn't agree with you more. I would much prefer to remain with FF who is much more dedicated to privacy, but I've got to get on with my work without constantly monitoring memory consumption so at this point it would be easier to switch browsers.

dmcmillen

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Note: FF just upgraded to 59.0.3, a supposed minor upgrade, but I am already seeing lower memory consumption, so I will monitor.
Update: Think I spoke prematurely. No real change.

Also, I must be missing something, because I do not see how to insert someone's quote at the end of the thread, only in a "reply to xx" which places the reply after the post I'm quoting. I see the '' icon but I can't get it to do anything.