Problem watching TV after purchasing converter?

dejavu619

Estimable
Jul 29, 2014
I have this Sony TV from 2005: http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-klv-s32a10/specs/

I know the specs say that it has an HDMI port but mine doesn't because its the non-HDMI variant.

Anyway, so I subscribed to a new digital TV provider but the problem was that its set top box only had composite and HDMI output while my TV only had composite and component input.

Having paid a one time fee for HD, there's no point viewing HD using composite. So to solve the problem, I purchased an HDMI to component converter: http://www.snapdeal.com/product/enem-stecker-hdmi-to-vga/1289781315

The problem is, that even though the audio and video are being transmitted at 720p/50 Hz, the TV keeps changing its display mode from 'Normal' to 'Full' every 30 or so seconds, and as a result of these random fluctuations, it keeps blacking out.

This didn't happen when I tried using the converter with one of my media players (http://www.naaptol.com/hd-media-players/intex-it-mhp-1080-mini-home-hd-media-player/p/12303085.html)

Also, I tried changing my set top box HD settings from 720p to 1080i but at 1080i the video was quite weird, and had random blue-violet shades and specks... However, the Intex media player can display 1080i/60 Hz just fine...

dejavu619

Estimable
Jul 29, 2014

My TV can support 720p as well. My Xbox 360 is connected to my TV using component cables and it displays 720p pretty well...

dejavu619

Estimable
Jul 29, 2014
Set top box -> Composite -> TV: Works ok

Media Player -> Component -> TV(720p/50Hz): Works ok

Set top box -> HDMI to Component adapter -> TV (720p/50Hz): TV keeps fluctuating display modes between 'full' and 'normal'

Media player -> HDMI to component converter -> TV (720p/50Hz): Viewable but a few 'white lines' visible here and there which are not otherwise visible when media player is connected directly to the TV using component cable

Media player -> HDMI to component converter-> TV(1080i/60Hz) : Works ok without any white lines as mentioned in previous case

Set top box -> HDMI to component converter -> TV (1080i) : Weird blue shades and textures...

My Xbox works fine when connected directly to the TV using component cable at 720p as well as 1080i. I can try using the Xbox with the converter to see what happens and let you know if that's helpful...? Should I do so?

dejavu619

Estimable
Jul 29, 2014
So even the Xbox 360 doesn't work well with the adapter...

Xbox -> HDMI to component converter -> TV : At 720p, Viewable but a few 'white lines' visible here and there which are not otherwise visible when the xbox is connected directly to the TV using component cable. At 1080i, the picture is clear but the TV display mode keeps fluctuating from 'Normal' to 'Full'.

So far, the media player has been the only device which hasn't triggered these fluctuations when used via the converter... However, even in the media player at 720p/50Hz or 60Hz and 1080i/50Hz, some white lines are visible. The picture is clear only when 1080i/60Hz is used...