Problem with channels on Pioneer VSX-1015 receiver

dado7777

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
Hello to you all!

Since last few months, I had a slight problem with channels on my old Pioneer VSX-1015 receiver.

When I turn on the receiver some of the channels are not playing. First it started occuring, and still is mostly happening, with front right channel. After that I found out that from time to time right surround and right back channel are not working too (it never occured on all three at the same time).

When I increase the volume (by much), the channels start working (no matter the volume) and stay working until the receiver is shut down and cooled.

Also my active subwoofer connected to the same receiver shows a similar behaviour. If I start watching a movie that has a lot of audio effects with deep rumbling, the very unpleasant clicking noise occurs. It normalizes after a few of such scenes. So the behaviour in principle is the same as with other channels - if you put some extensive volume over it for a few seconds, it automatically starts working. However, the difference is in that the subwoofer is otherwise normally working (it's not mute).

Any ideas on what could be causing this problem?

I am not an expert but I thought it could be a problem with one of the capacitators dying out.

dado7777

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
There was a question / instruction posted by an user, but then it disappeared. Let me answer anyway.

When I use the inbuilt channel checker (actually fine tuner), since the signal that it emmits is very loud, the channels start working immidiately - all except subwoofer - it clicks for some time and than continues to work normally.

I started using it before I watch movie in orther to get everything working properly first.

Some receivers use mechanical relays in series with the speaker outputs as protection. They can have intermittent problems that higher signal level can compensate for.
They can be cleaned sometimes and replaced if needed.
A similar problem can be caused by a transistor problem. You will need tech to sort it out and the price might make replacement an option.

dado7777

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
Update: Yesterday I found out it wasn't only the receiver after all.

Seems that the strong crackling noise produced by the subwoofer on very deep sounds in the movies is coming from the problem within the subwoofer itself, because when I lifted up the front part - it stopped.

Now I have positioned it slightly inclined (so that the front is looking a bit up) and it works like a charm.

What could be the problem?

Sounds like the subwoofer speaker itself is bad. When you raise the cabinet you use gravity to realign the voice coil. If the woofer has a foam surround that can deteriorate with age and use. If you can remove the grille you can check it.
Woofer can be rebuilt or replaced. Which one depends on how much the sub cost.