Problem with GTX850M - ASUS laptop

kostast88

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
Hello everyone,

I recently bought an ASUS N550JK. I bought it as refurbished, said to be a display model. Under seller's warranty.When I received the laptop I run a series of tests on it to check if everything works fine. It seems like the graphics card isn't...

When I run 3DMARK11 tests with Intel HD4600 the visual tests are very smooth. When I force the application to use GTX850M, the tests won't even start, they are very slow. I got a demanding game, "shadow of mordor " to do further tests, and the same results here. Onboard graphics can handle the game, GTX850M cannot. 850M drivers are version 344.60 directly from nvidia control panel.Reverted to old drivers but that didn't affect anything.

I must add that I hear a periodic noise below the DVD drive. I don't know if this is the graphics card location. It's not annoying, you can barely hear it, like an electric circuit or something, can't tell if it's a fan or anything.

So what do you guys think I should do?I want to investigate software issues a little further and I would like to tell me about GPU diagnostic software. I just installed GPU-Z but I have not idea what I am looking at.

Thanks

Warukyure

Estimable
Sounds like the card is having issues. If its under warranty, use the warranty, too many people don't take advantage of product warranty.

If its still fairly new, try just reformating, who knows might work. (Shouldn't be a software issue though)

kostast88

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
It was the drivers after all. Reverting back and updating from the nvidia control panel resulted in corrupted install. I only found out when I did a classic clear uninstall and reinstall from the control panel, and later manually finding the drivers from the manufacturer's website. I don't think I'll use nvidia control panel for updating my drivers from now on...