Problem with Radeon HD 8870m

thisdotfabio

Estimable
Nov 25, 2015
Hi, I have a Samsung np770z5e laptop, with a Intel HD 4000 and AMD Radeon HD 8870m graphics.
Last week my dedicated graphics stop working, so i disabled it and unisntalled all drivers and Catalyst software.
My laptopt recognizes AMD graphics, but I can't install any driver, I tried installing the official AMD, Samsung and leshcat drivers, but when it installing my laptop bricks, then when I try to restart my laptop I only get a black screen, so I have to uninstall the driver with DDU and disable the device.

Now, I want to upgrade my laptop to Windows 10, but I can't because when the installation detect the AMD graphic, my laptop stop working and I have to restart and rollback the upgrade.

I don't know if the AMD graphics was unsoldered or burned out... How I can fix this issue? or in the worst case, Can I remove the AMD graphic and use my laptop only with the Intel graphic?

I hope you can understand my quiestion, so im not good speaking english.

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall AMD graphics.
- Open Program and Features then uninstall anything related to AMD graphics.
- Download and install the latest driver there is.
- Here's the link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download.
- If these will not work try doing a complete factory reset first with it's original OS.
- Worst case is the graphics card is already damaged and the only way to check if it's removable or not is to open the laptop and hope that the GPU is not soldered.

thisdotfabio

Estimable
Nov 25, 2015

Hi, finally in the weekend I opened my laptop, cleaned fans and chaged the termal paste.
I try resoldering the amd chip using a hair dryer (I don't have a heat gun).

Then I closed my laptop and turned on, and the AMD graphics worked for one day, then the problem comes again..

If the AMD graphics worked again for a short time, Is possible that the chip isn't damaged and only is unsoldered?.
Is a good solution reballing the chip?.

vlab22

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017

Hi, 2017 now. Win10 freeze while high GPU usage.

Have you lost your AMD GPU? :(

Same problem here, 3 years of use so I move with family to a hot city (33º C, Realfeel 36º) and my AMD GPU does exact as you describe.
I opened it and fans was not dirty, changed thermal paste and voilá... Not working.

When I enable it in Device Manager, win10 100% freezes
Yesterday, when I was trying to reboot, I got a blue screen of dead with "thread stuck in device driver".

ricardo14.2013

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017

Same here in a samsung 670z with 3 years

solskaier

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017
Very simalr problem . i not happy

Same shit problem, i change paste termic - Problem ith OS freezing whem reboting,
Now the OS dont recognized my HD 8750. i Cant instal drivers i tried several ways, like SW update Samsung nothing others drivers installer nothing.

Big Problema only deteting a Graphic Card no model (code28 in properties of harware)

I have a Samsung ATIV Book 6 NP670Z5E - buyed in 11/2013 no problem until now - never shouldt replace termic paste

Now i have no good graphic intel 4000 is not good

Helllllppppp

Mar 23, 2018
Hi, I have the same problem.
I have an Inspiron 15r 5537 which I bought in november 2013. It's a Core i7 4500u CPU, 8GB ram and the AMD radeon HD 8850m 2GB.
I've been playing several AAA games for all these years, but last week, while playing some random CS:GO, the game froze over completely. I could still hear the background sounds for a minute then even the HDD led stopped flickering. After reseting the laptop, my Windows froze during the logo screen. The only way I could properly load the Windows is entering safe mode, disabling the Radeon 8850m via Device Manager then reboot.
Only problem is that I can't play games anymore nor use my Sony Vegas Pro 13, since I can only use the Intel HD Graphics.
I opened the laptop, made some dust cleaning (even though it was not dusty at all), turned it on again and the Radeon worked for a few more minutes. I was super happy like, yes :D
Then I tried some Witcher 3 to test the dedicated card and guess what? After like 25 minutes playing without any lags or stuttering, the same thing happened, game froze over again.
I believe there's nothing to be done and maybe, after five years running demanding games the lifespan of my Graphics card has come to an end.
I can still do basic activities like: Watching movies, series, listen to music, text programs etc.
But no more games. So sad :(