Solved! Problems after replacing XPS 9550 Primary Drive with HP HDD Image

PakBrain

Estimable
Feb 15, 2014
Hello.

My HP laptop had 1TB HDD and started falling apart so I ordered Dell XPS 15 9550 with 1TB PCIe SSD. Used EaseUS to create the image, and went through the hassle of cloning XPS SSD with HP HDD. Long story short I am able to get everything running on XPS but facing following issues (Windows 10 Home 64-Bit):

- Recovery partition is there but it is HP's recovery I dont know how to get Dell recovery. Dont have recovery media from Dell. Machine is under warranty. Should I contact Dell for recovery?
- I am getting ghost clicks on XPS (both machines were touchscreens)
- Screen sometimes goes dark on XPS with speakers sound as if some hardware change has occurred, I feel as if laptop is going to restart then it comes back to where it was in about 3-4 seconds
- WiFi connection keeps dropping

I have plans to upgrade to Windows 10 Professional. If I do that is it going to fix any of these issues or I better fix them first and then upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Solution
Then i guess the os and system config from the HP might have been copied as well and creating a conflict with the dell current config.i suggest doing a factory reset if u do not have the recovery.and saves the files that u need first.
there is a probably a conflict since you are cloning from a different device which have a different drivers/config and offcourse he HP recovery will still be there as u are cloning from a HP device.i suggest saving the files u need and doing a clean install on windows and drivers for your dell.btw does your dell come with OS or free dos?

PakBrain

Estimable
Feb 15, 2014

Laptop is new and came with OS Pre-Installed like it normally comes from Dell (although I bought it from 3rd party seller on Amazon; they did not give me the option to include media).

Then i guess the os and system config from the HP might have been copied as well and creating a conflict with the dell current config.i suggest doing a factory reset if u do not have the recovery.and saves the files that u need first.

Solution

PakBrain

Estimable
Feb 15, 2014

Trying to avoid that as much as I could since I have lots of applications installed (Home Office). Have ordered Windows 10 Pro. Once it arrives will try to delete recovery partition and upgrade. Will try using Windows Backup/Recovery instead of Dell OS Support. Hope it works.
BTW Manufacturers or some other business should come forward to address this scenario because there is genuine need for replacing underlying hardware (swapping primary disks between PCs).

Funny thing is, as part of cloning I ended up having cloned SSD into another XPS that we have but that one is XPS 9560 (with finger print sensor) and mine is XPS 9550. SSD would would work fine on 9560 but throw BSOD on 9550. I spent hours struggling with it. My son finally compared BIOS of both XPS systems only to find 9550 had RAID enabled while 9560 did not. He disabled RAID on 9550 and it started working.

I am old school .. coming from days when OS had nothing to do with h/w .. I am in IT for 18+ years and can only imagine the pain ordinary users have to go through when replacing their machines.