Problems in undervolting

Jun 8, 2018
I want to undervolt my i7 7500u cz it throttles up to 40% at 98 degrees. The following are the problems I am facing-
1) I installed Intel XTU and undervolted to -120mv only to see absolutely no temp changes. After I searched a bit I found out that XTU is not actually applying the new settings to the CPU. So I tried Throttlestop.
2) In Throttlestop, when I tried -50mv, the temps were 95 degrees at 30% throttle after running prime95 overnight.
3) After that, I tried -55mv and after running aida64 the cpu throttled as usual at 98 degrees and 40% but in prime95 it showed 80 degrees and no throttling which contradicted the aida64 results. So I opened task manager which showed only 70% cpu usage when prime95 is running.

After all this I got a bit worried and removed the undervolt. I still want to do it. Please help.

My laptop specs(dell inspiron 7560) - i7 7500u + 8 gb ddr4 ram(single channel) + gtx 940mx

Solution
You're going about this the wrong way.

1. Prime95, AIDA64, and any other stress testing softwares push the CPU too much. You won't get that much usage on daily tasks. Base your temps on gaming or productive software.

2. Have someone clean the inside of your laptop. Then replace the stock thermal paste with something better. Should bring temps down by 5-15c if you haven't done so before.

3. Use laptop cooler pad. Anything is better than nothing.

4. Try undervolting after these.

5. If nothing works, manually lower CPU usage from advanced power options. Though it's not recommended as it will weaken your system.
Jul 10, 2018
You're going about this the wrong way.

1. Prime95, AIDA64, and any other stress testing softwares push the CPU too much. You won't get that much usage on daily tasks. Base your temps on gaming or productive software.

2. Have someone clean the inside of your laptop. Then replace the stock thermal paste with something better. Should bring temps down by 5-15c if you haven't done so before.

3. Use laptop cooler pad. Anything is better than nothing.

4. Try undervolting after these.

5. If nothing works, manually lower CPU usage from advanced power options. Though it's not recommended as it will weaken your system.

Solution