Problems with AC power on Gateway notebook

ero

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I have a Gateway 7510gx notebook. Earlier I brought the system out of stand by , Ac was on . Suddenly it switched to battery. I have checked all Cables, outlets, etc. Turned it off and back on. Unplugged everything, waited a bit and turned back on. Still no AC. I tried testing the adapter output with a meter, but don't no if I was doing it right. I have had no problems with this computer until now. If it is not the adapter, what else might it be?
Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks, Ruth

Finally figured out how this posting thing works :)

Solution
Need to also check the battery. Check output Voltage after a charge, and also after you have let the computer give you a warning that the battery is low.

The two biggest "killers" for chargers is (1) surge on the input side and (2) battery not telling the Power pack that it is charged - go to trickle current. Or the battery is "requesting" more current than the brick can supply for an extended time.

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Pull out your volt meter or digital multimeter and check the voltage output of the brick in question, it should be slightly more than the stated output embossed on the brick...if not it's TOAST...

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008

Is the light on? That's like asking if you have a link light, it doesn't tell you ANYTHING! Test, check, discover... maybe some tech support would help...

ero

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I have found out the adapter as you say is toast. Now I am trying to find a decent universal adapter. Staples sold me a Targus for $110.00 . Got it home and Targus says it won't work with my Gateway 7510gx. Looked on ebay and they have some really cheap, but wonder about how good they are. This Targus just has the tips. Suppose to pick correct tip and voltage ect. is automatic. Other ones I've seen, you pick the tip and also set the voltage, which is not a big deal since I do know what voltage to set. Does anyone have a recommendation?

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I hope you took it back to Staples with the laptop and showed them the problem. It shouldn't cost much more than what you paid at Staples to see if Gateway has a replacement...

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Need to also check the battery. Check output Voltage after a charge, and also after you have let the computer give you a warning that the battery is low.

The two biggest "killers" for chargers is (1) surge on the input side and (2) battery not telling the Power pack that it is charged - go to trickle current. Or the battery is "requesting" more current than the brick can supply for an extended time.

Solution

ero

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010

Gateway does for around 70.00,but since this computer is 4 yrs old I figured I'd go with a universal. Ebay has some pretty cheap, much cheaper than 110.00!! I just got in a hurry. Will be taking this one back to Staples as soon as the snow lets up, hopefully today.

ero

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010

Thx for the info. I hadn't thought of that. The input was through a good surge protector,so probably not that. However this battery is not too good.I am lucky to get an hour out of it. More like 45 min. The system is 4yrs old, but never was a good battery, 2 hours tops when new. I have read that you should not leave the battery in when running on AC for extended periods.

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Laptop batteries are MUCH better than they were 10-20 years ago, however they have a finite life of recharges...if running on AC power for whatever reason, PULL THE BATTERY out of the machine and run it on AC. Otherwise, charge the battery and run it on battery power until reminded to recharge...