acleverhobo

Commendable
May 21, 2016
I plan on getting a VR headset soon and currently have an i5 4460 CPU. SteamVR Perfomance Test puts me in the Very High - High range and says it's good but the tests on both Vive and Oculus's websites tell me my cpu could be an issue.

So should I upgrade my CPU first or would I be ok to just get a VR headset.

Other Specs:

R9 Fury Nitro 4gb
8gb RAM

Solution
Your CPU is very marginally below the minimum requirements for the HTC Vive and the recommended requirements for the Oculus Rift. It's well above the minimum requirements for the Oculus Rift.

In reality it would still work well enough with a Vive, but the ASW software feature on the Rift does give you more performance headroom.

Considering the price and included content, I'd recommend the Rift anyway. But if you have the money, you could go with either one and be happy with your purchase.

acleverhobo

Commendable
May 21, 2016

I don't think it would be either but given the recommended specs on both headsets I wanted a second opinion.
Thanks.

Got any recommendations for which one I should go with?

Sakkura

Distinguished
Your CPU is very marginally below the minimum requirements for the HTC Vive and the recommended requirements for the Oculus Rift. It's well above the minimum requirements for the Oculus Rift.

In reality it would still work well enough with a Vive, but the ASW software feature on the Rift does give you more performance headroom.

Considering the price and included content, I'd recommend the Rift anyway. But if you have the money, you could go with either one and be happy with your purchase.

Solution

Kokolin

Prominent
May 28, 2017

I would go with a vive, simply because no one uses the oculus rift.