Proxy and Security

Oskilla

Estimable
Aug 1, 2015
So I'm having that "unable to connect to the proxy server" problem. I found the solution which is going to setting in Google chrome then under network change proxy settings, then unclick "Use a Proxy server...." And it worked I could use the internet.

Now I've seen that proxy servers keep you safe or masked on the internet and make it harder for people to trace your IP address. If I unclick "Use a Proxy server" am I at risk of something bad happening to my computer?

Any answers will be helpful

I did the malwarebyte scan and removed some threats. Went back to Google chrome and still "unable to connect to the proxy server." Also I have 2 accounts, the problem is on my brothers where the "use a Proxy server" is selected and he can't connect. On the other hand, on my account in Google chrome I don't have "use a Proxy server" selected and I can use the internet just fine but, "automatically detect settings" is checked...

I did scan on my brother's account

Any explanations are helpful. Again the question is to uncheck or check "use a proxy server"?

Solution
I'll try to be as concise as possible, but also try not to skip anything...

A proxy server basically reroutes traffic through the proxy. So, basically, if you're visiting a website, the proxy acts as a sort of middleman. Now, the problem with proxy services is that they aren't really that secure for much of anything. The most use average users will get from them is for bypassing basic restrictions (ie: using restricted websites at work/school). Proxies have their uses/purposes, but for most users, they're pretty pointless.

Now, if you wanted to use a service that's similar, I'd recommend using a VPN (virtual private network); and I can recommend a few providers for it as well. VPNs have a number of benefits, but the most common uses...

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
I'll try to be as concise as possible, but also try not to skip anything...

A proxy server basically reroutes traffic through the proxy. So, basically, if you're visiting a website, the proxy acts as a sort of middleman. Now, the problem with proxy services is that they aren't really that secure for much of anything. The most use average users will get from them is for bypassing basic restrictions (ie: using restricted websites at work/school). Proxies have their uses/purposes, but for most users, they're pretty pointless.

Now, if you wanted to use a service that's similar, I'd recommend using a VPN (virtual private network); and I can recommend a few providers for it as well. VPNs have a number of benefits, but the most common uses are bypassing geo-restrictions (like streaming content off the BBC website when you're not in the UK, for example), and hiding your IP address. When it comes to using a VPN, they're typically going to act the same as a proxy (to the person using the computer). Just giving you some info, in case you were considering using either a proxy or VPN at some point.

As far as your browser settings go, I'd leave the proxy settings box checked on "automatically detect settings." That way, if you ever use a proxy, it will try to configure itself automatically. It also won't disconnect you from the internet if you're not using a proxy, should you leave it at that setting. I have a feeling your brother is using a proxy, hence your issue.

If you're worried about harm from using a proxy, or even a VPN, there's very little to worry about. If anything, feel free to ask us about a proxy/VPN before using it, and we can let you know if it's one you might want to stay away from. Not every provider of these services is very secure, or protects user privacy; so depending on what level of privacy you're looking for, you might want to run the provider by us first. I always have a list of VPN providers to offer up ;)

Solution

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Not a problem at all. I was at work, and had the time to answer ;)

If you ever need a VPN or proxy service, just let me know. I keep my eye on the more secure/anonymous ones, so it'll always be a quality service that I'll recommend. VPNs are especially great for keeping your internet traffic secure while travelling; especially if you do banking online. Just a heads up ;)

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
ExpressVPN Review 2015

This is what irks me (same as what the review said):
- The pricing isn't the cheapest out there
- Having to use different login codes on each device

Otherwise, it isn't a bad choice. There are cheaper ones, with just as good of a quality service, though. All comes down to what the person wants to spend. Also, speed is very dependent on a number of things, and not just the VPN provider's bandwidth.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
IPVanish Review

Definitely a better choice, though I'm wondering what is going on when they mentioned the simultaneous connection policy. They didn't cover that in the review, but they mentioned it in the conclusion. I'll be checking that out.

If anyone needs to do some checks on VPNs, the only places I tend to look are TorrentFreak (they have an annual VPN review, which covers basic information), and Best VPN. That's probably going to keep the relevant information as concise and clear as possible for the majority of users.