PS JailBreak PS3 Exploit Goes Free, Open Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
And yet it still won't be worth pirating PS3 games due to the high price of Blu-Ray burners and discs.

(I'm presuming you can copy games to the hard drive and play from there though).

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
psgrove is not the one that was being sold

it is actually a reversed version that i discoverd a few days ago made by Mathieulh

who i believe managed to dump the device, at the moement the source is out there but you have to compile it yourself onto a dev board and depening on the board that you choose could require a lot of editing on your part

some people in the scene are busy porting it to other devices like the teeny++

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
actually you can play games on it there is a slightly alterd source that will let you do it and the idea of custom firmware is to allow you to run homebrew and emulators

if you want more details google it

G

"This software is intended to allow the execution of unsigned third-party apps and games on the PS3."

mssz

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
[citation][nom]thr3ddy[/nom]Open Source does NOT mean that nobody owns the source code, you're confusing open source with the public domain. In fact, PSGroove comes licensed under the GPL license, which is pretty restrictive to developers who wish to reuse the source code.[/citation]

The GPL does not restrict your use, study, modification, sharing, re-engineer, etc of the source code. Only when you distribute work that integrates GPL'd source code are you restricted to distribute it covered by the GPL.

While I'd agree that there are even more liberal licenses, "pretty restrictive" seems exaggerated.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Not a suprice, Sony shoot themselves in the foot with the lawsuit! Now it will spread like wildfire instead of somewhat limited numbers

volt-aire

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]The more console piracy there is, the better. Less incentives to shove cheap ass console ports down our throat.[/citation]

The more console piracy there is, the better. Less incentives to make anything at all, ever. And shove it down our throat?

L0tus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]tsnorquist[/nom]I have a PS3, didn't realize it played games. Been using the thing as a Blu Ray player for the last few years =)[/citation]

So you basically paid ~$400 for a Blu Ray player.

*palm to forehead*

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]L0tus[/nom]So you basically paid ~$400 for a Blu Ray player. *palm to forehead*[/citation]

For quite some time it was one of the least expensive players out there. And since it has wi-fi built in, it made it one of the better players because it can be easily updated with the latest firmware.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Sure keep making games for consoles which are not using pirated games, forget the PCs, consoles are the future. Yeaah.

Oh wait? may be, there is less piracy in consoles, because.. humm.. lets say, same happens with Linux and viruses? Lesssssssss people using it!?

Wheat_Thins

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]The more console piracy there is, the better. Less incentives to shove cheap ass console ports down our throat.[/citation]

Cry Moar; Your tears are salty sweet. Sleep in the bed you made right next to the piracy that absolutely destroyed the PC gaming realm. Why waste time on a platform that probably has 50%+ piracy rate when the console scene is probably less the 10-20%?

I have an i7 and a 5870 and love PC gaming but lets be honest PC gamers shot themselves in the foot by stealing all their games as opposed to paying $50.00 for something they will probably play for 100+ hours. Rate me down to -20 but PC pirates created this situation by stealing games because they think it their god given right to play games because they are so 1337 to use an iso mounter and torrent and a cracked EXE.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]thr3ddy[/nom]Open Source does NOT mean that nobody owns the source code, you're confusing open source with the public domain. In fact, PSGroove comes licensed under the GPL license, which is pretty restrictive to developers who wish to reuse the source code.[/citation]
Agreed, but I seriously doubt that "someone" out there using it to break into the PS will result in a lawsuit against GPL.
That would be like suing AT&T because someone made a prank phone call.

Status
Not open for further replies.