Quality loss - MKV to AVI

l_r_c_t

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Hello Everybody:

I have a simple question which is how does converting an MKV or an MP4 file to AVI will affect it's quality?
Another related question is, why do the MKV and MP4 files are so common when only a few DVD players can actually play them.

Thank you.

By the way, if this thread doesn't belong here, please recommend or pass it to the adequate category.

nikorr

Distinguished
MKV is far more superior in quality and features, than outdated AVI.

AVI does not retain sharpness, contrast and colors within the same size.

To have the same quality,

u must have 1.7GB AVI, when only 1GB is needed with MP4 or MKV.

nikorr

Distinguished
[fixed]I have a simple question which is how does converting an MKV or an MP4 file to AVI will affect it's quality?[/fixed]
U will lose sharpens for 100%. The colors will look less rich. It is OK if u are watching on the old TV.

[fixed]Another related question is, why do the MKV and MP4 files are so common when only a few DVD players can actually play them.[/fixed]
Some of the DVD makers own the rights to some movies and music and will not help to spread this usage of DVD's, as they want u to buy the DVD's.

l_r_c_t

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Q: [fixed]I have a simple question which is how does converting an MKV or an MP4 file to AVI will affect it's quality?[/fixed]
A: [fixed]U will lose sharpens for 100%. The colors will look less rich. It is OK if u are watching on the old TV.[/fixed]

If converting causes such a big change, how can I configure an MKV file? dimension setting, cropping, pasting subtitles etc.

Q: [fixed]Another related question is, why do the MKV and MP4 files are so common when only a few DVD players can actually play them.[/fixed]
A: [fixed]Some of the DVD makers own the rights to some movies and music and will not help to spread this usage of DVD's, as they want u to buy the DVD's.[/fixed]

I really can't understand the logic behind your last sentence... It doesn't matter if you buy or copy the MKV/MP4 file, If DVD's able to play this kind of files are so rare, how exactly will you enjoy the media contained in this formats?

nikorr

Distinguished
Well I use WD TV Live Hub Media Player w/ 1TB of Internal Storage
It plays everything you throw at it. When I converted all my media to digital form, it plays them all. I do record some HD stuff off of the cable TV and use Handbrake to turn them into the MKV. To get the top quality, I use -> U can copy that into the advanced tab. But u need the fast CPU to handle that setting. The E6750 would encode all day long, but the 2600K is done in 1.5 hr on avg.

ref=16:bframes=16:subq=10:mixed-refs=0:weightb=0:deblock=-3,-3:psy-rd=0.10,0.10:aq-strength=0.9:me=esa:8x8dct=0:merange=30

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=570
Review
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1456/1/

Media_Comparison_v2.jpg

WDTV_Live_Hub_page_comp900_15.jpg

WDTV_Live_Hub_page_header.jpg

network-setup-2.jpg

pm4

Estimable
Apr 28, 2014
EDIT 2: Did not notice that it was old thread previous poster ressurected :) apology for this, but my answer may help others searching for this topic to get on correct path.

First of all by what people write here most do not know basic difference between container and codec. No offence but MKV, AVI and MP4 are all just containers.
They can determine compatibility with players or how many video, audio, subtitles can it hold at same time and some other stuff, but it does not affect quality directly. What determines quality is codec used for encoding of video. Container format may limit which codec you can use. There were older xvid and divx but those are not used anymore. After that you got codecs like mpeg-2 and now more popular mpeg-4 (h.263). Currently most popular is mpeg-4 AVC (h.264). For more info consult appropriate wiki page :).
Here is wiki page with nice table of many containers with their support for codecs, not sure if it's accurate but it looked fine on 1st look. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_container_formats

So 1st of all you may not need to convert anything. What you want to do actually is called remux of file. That mean you take video with it's original codec from one container and place it into another container. If new container support that format everything will work fine and you won't loose any quality.

Try to google "avi-mux_gui" by description it should do exactly that remuxing of mkv to avi and other way. I did not ever use that software so no guarantee. I got to it by googling "avi remux" and it was 2nd hit.

EDIT: I personally use MKV with h.264 or original codec remuxed to MKV container. For tv i use WD TV Live like poster above and it have np with it. It gained lot of popularity and most of modern devices/programs support it. But I can imagine some applications or devices may not accept MKV so remuxing is best way if codec is supported in AVI and on the device/program.
This is improtant because even if AVI itself may accept codec device/program you want to play it on may not support it.
In that case you would have to convert to other codec. My recommendation would be to use h.264 codec if target device/program accept it (which all modern should). Or classic mpeg-4 for higher compatibility (for example on some portable devices). For encoding to h.264 I use handbreak and for mux/remux of files i use mkv extractor or mkv merge.

How the conversion will affect quality depends on what settings you use to convert it to. Simply put, an HD MKV file that is 6 gig will not look as good if you convert it to an 1 gig AVI file.

As to why the formats are popular if DVD players can't normally play them, simple. They are not formats made for DVD players. It's like asking why people that have to go 30 miles to get to work don't use bikes when they are cheaper and don't use gas. Wrong tool for the job.