Questions about a potential torrent problem

Dubnoman

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
I tried opening up some torrents on uTorrent. They won't list and won't show up. I tried clicking the links again, and it said the torrents were already open. I don't know if they are but aren't showing, or if they aren't and I'm just being told that they are open. What I'm worried about is the torrents are there and active but invisible, and they might start seeding and then they'll always be seeding and then I won't be able to remove the torrents and stop the seeding.

I clicked on a torrent link called a magnet link. I don't know what that is and what it means to use one.

Do you think the torrents are there and would be active, or do you think they aren't there and the program is wrong in telling me the torrents are there. Also, when I tried re-adding a torrent (and it told me it is already open in my torrent client), it asked me if I wanted to add trackers and I clicked yes. I don't know what the significance of that is. I don't even know if the trackers were added since the torrent might not even be there.

I'm currently using utorrent, but was thinking of finding another torrent client. If I ditched utorrent and then went with an all new torrent client, would this remedy my problems/potential problems? If I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, would that remedy my problems/potential problems?

Also, do I have to worry about malware in this case? Was I duped and some malware transferred to my computer without any warnings (I had no virus warnings from this)?

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I'm going to assume that not all torrenting is piracy, because otherwise I'd have to automatically close this thread. Just be careful. The Tom's Hardware community neither supports nor condones piracy.

Dubnoman

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

It isn't anything illegal. For example, I don't dl movies, and as for music, I don't torrent albums. I've torrented nothing but 1 album in all my life (no joke). I don't pirate music in other forms, either. I usually just buy new or used CDs from Amazon or just buy from iTunes. I've never pirated PC games or PC software.

Dubnoman

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

Gah, they were found somewhere in the filter frame. I played around with it earlier but didn't check every category. They were found somewhere unexpected, and within that, found under something labeled "Hidden". I guess this thread can just be closed, then.