Questions about Win 7 Audio

sam jay

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
The thing that I don't understand: there's no option to change speakers into headphones! You can change the icon and the name, but that has no affect on the device itself. For example, when going in to configure my headphones in the windows control panel, a menu to configure speakers comes up. Also, there's an option to enable an S/PDIF device, which I don't know if I should enable or not.

s/pdif is an optical output normally going to receivers or speaker control unit of some type. you do not need this for your application.

stereo headsets are automatically detected and require no fiddling in the controls.

i will assume you are trying to connect one of the gaming 5.1/7.1 headsets...in which case i could see them being recognized as speakers by the computer unless you install any software which came with the headphones. in any case...such products should be all plug and play..

as for visually changing the device in the list to look like headphones....it might not be possible but as long as it works....who cares?

sam jay

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
My headphones are stereo.

I installed the Asus Xonar DG software, if that has anything to do with it.

If I can't change it, I might just use Dolby Headphone and make the best out of it.