Radiohead's Thom Yorke, Nigel Godrich Pull Spotify Tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

marciocattini

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
They fail to mention how their songs suck balls and probably no one will listen to them... Radiohead is on a different league though, probably gets more "listens" and probably earns the artists more money... I wonder why nobody is talking about the actual payment model so we can judge whether its fair or not...

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
"Spotify responded to the news earlier today, stating that it has already paid $500 million to rightsholders and that this figure will reach $1 billion by the end of this year. "

There's the problem. Rightholders are rarely the artists themselves.. Someone is getting paid millions, but it isn't the artists...

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
"because the money is divided up by percentage of total streams"

can't see a problem with this, 10% of streams, 10% of pot.

If everyone was paid a set amount and didn't vary by spotify profitability, Spotify would go under in a second.

So what Thom York is suggesting is that Spotify should
a) Spotify should go under supporting artists
b) Spotify should not pay big artists

Dreamworld

aeurix

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
I noted the Great Gatsby soundtrack was initially offered in full on Spotify but now has only half the tracks... more and more of the songs that I search for are not turning up and I have to try youtube. I don't care what their finance model is or what artists think of their service, but if I can't get access to songs I want to listen to, it directly affects me as a consumer. It might be time for me to cancel the Spotify Premium membership.

JPForums

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
"Godrich commented on Spotify's statement, tweeting that because the money is divided up by percentage of total streams, it favors bigger companies with huge back catalogues."

As I understand it, Spotify's system favors companies with the songs people are listening to. If people are listening to the older songs in the back catalog, then the company invested in the right artists. Just because they are older doesn't mean they don't deserve to be paid. Also, (note: I hate to defend large music companies, but I it is what it is) these companies did put a lot of time, money, and effort into creating these catalogs. It wouldn't be fair to the other artist to penalize them just because their song are older, or part of a larger catalog.

Status
Not open for further replies.