Random keys on ThinkPad keyboard typing wrong thing Windows 7 Pro

swwells62

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017
All the letters Upper & lower case type correctly but like the number 5 across the top types a b and 6 types an n. In the numeric keypad the 1 types a 0 zero the minus symbol types a plus symbol and the symbol keys at the end of the letters don't work at all so it's very random. I was told this was a virus but I did a complete scan AND I have virus protection , malware , etc I saw one other solution that said to unplug computer and take the battery out then replace it and plug back in to reboot computer. I haven't tried this yet. Anybody know if this will fix the issue (question mark key doesn't work}. I also checked settings and the only keyboard listed is US and English.

swwells62

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017

Hi, Andy!
No nothing was spilled on it...I'm very careful to never keep liquids near it!!
Unfortunately, I don't have my external keyboard with me so I can't try that. I haven't tried taking the battery out & putting it back in & rebooting ....do you think that might work(question mark doesn't work!) After the guy told me it was a virus I did a complete SCAN. It took about 4 hours but it said the computer was fine and I have virus protection, malware all those things! Any other thoughts(question mark)
Thanks for your response!

G

I don't think it's a virus. I think it might be a broken keyboard. So if you can test with an external one, and the external one works fine, that would confirm it.

Otherwise, it could be many things, but broken keyboard is the most likely. I don't want to write up several solutions and it turns out it's just a keyboard problem. I'm lazy that way.

swwells62

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017

TRENDING THREADS