Re-Install Windows 7 , Keeping exisiting Linux Mint

jinu18

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
Hi Friends,
I am currently running a multi boot system which I installed Windows 10 Technical Preview version then loaded Linux Mint to make it a good working multi boot system.
All are running good except that Windows 10 technical preview expired on 15th April. ( I still can login but they warned me about restart frequently )
Now I want to load Windows 7 back safely over Windows 10 Partition. I ccan back up my files so no issues on formatting the partition. But I want to know how to do this safe that I should not loose access to Linux Mint as it is my primary OS.

Solution
Windows 7 needs to be installed first, when used in dual boot with Linux. You'll need to back up your Linux partition to another location, delete ALL existing partitions on the OS drive, install 7, then install Linux. Otherwise you're more than likely to encounter boot loader issues as 7 is finicky that way.

A Windows OS should be installed first, because its bootloader is very particular and the installer tends to overwrite the entire hard drive, wiping out any data stored on it. If Windows isn't already installed, install it first. If you are able to partition the drive prior to installing Windows, leave space for Ubuntu during the initial partitioning process. Then you won't have to resize your NTFS partition to make room for...
Windows 7 needs to be installed first, when used in dual boot with Linux. You'll need to back up your Linux partition to another location, delete ALL existing partitions on the OS drive, install 7, then install Linux. Otherwise you're more than likely to encounter boot loader issues as 7 is finicky that way.

A Windows OS should be installed first, because its bootloader is very particular and the installer tends to overwrite the entire hard drive, wiping out any data stored on it. If Windows isn't already installed, install it first. If you are able to partition the drive prior to installing Windows, leave space for Ubuntu during the initial partitioning process. Then you won't have to resize your NTFS partition to make room for Ubuntu later, saving a bit of time.

When a Windows installation already occupies the entire hard drive, its partition needs to be shrunk, creating free space for the Ubuntu partition. You can do this during the Ubuntu installation procedure, or you can see How to Resize Windows Partitions for other options.

If you have resized a Windows 7 or Vista partition and cannot boot up Windows, you can use the instructions from WindowsRecovery to fix it.

Solution