Realtek Optical input Windows 7

Eegras

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
I'm currently trying to hook my XBox 360 up to my PC so as to use my 5.1 surround sound to play games. I have never used my optical audio jack at all, but my driver sofware labels it as input/output. Im running Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate with all drivers updated to the manufacturer's latest. Any ideas?

Eegras

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Well, for lack of better description, it doesn't work. I am at a loss as to tell what isnt working, but I've tried all settings on the 360 related to audio, and it still apparently doesn't send any audio information. I have the jack set to play out my speakers and nothing comes out.

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Could be one of several things really.

First and formost, make sure you are plugging into an optical input; very few motherboards have an input slot, although most soundcards do.

[Note: if you are only sending 2.0 PCM, this section does not apply]
Secondly, you can only get 5.1 over optical by using Dolby Digital/DTS (I think DD is the only supported mode on the 360), which needs to be decoded prior to being sent to speakers. Usually a receiver is used for this task, although various software methods (FFDshow) can be used instead.

Thirdly, you're PC needs to be set (Via Windows Control Panel) to use the sound input instead of the sounds nativly comming from the PC.