"Reboot and select proper or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Woofsta

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
Hello everyone,

Just recently my Asus laptop started presenting the "Reboot and select proper or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" problem which I cannot boot up into windows anymore. I've followed some advice of seeing if my ssd is the boot option and trying to restore defaults, yet nothing works. I have an Asus UX31E with a Sandisk SSD and no modifications done to this laptop. In my Bios, the SSD is still recognized although that is the only boot option i have, since there are no CD drives or anything else. Is there a way to correct this problem or is my SSD fried?

Thanks in Advance

garrett1986

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
you should try testing with another drive at this point to see if windows will install on that. See if you have a friend that can loan you a laptop hard drive or SSD just to test with so you don't have to go and possibly waste money before knowing if its the SSD or motherboard.

the windows "restore" function is a joke at best because it stores the "restore" file on the same hard drive that the OS resides on, which means it can do nothing if the OS itself is corrupted or if the hard drive itself is broken/not functional.

the Windows installer should have the drivers for your laptop already. i wish people would stop spouting about that. it only really applies to xp era machines, vista machines and some off brand random components. but manufactures like ASUS have always been supported especially if the laptop already had windows 7 on it to begin with.

*if windows installs to a new SSD just fine with no trouble/errors then the problem was your old SSD

*if windows cant install to a new SSD then it may be your laptops mainboard. If its still under warranty then just RMA it if it isnt well.

http://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-ux31e-motherboard.html

or consider replacing the laptop.