Rebuilt Opera Browser Arrives on Desktop With User Backlash

Status
Not open for further replies.

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
The Android version update was a disaster. Everything stopped working. Even basic websites. And it was an auto update. I had to go get an old APK.

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
The Android version update was a disaster. Everything stopped working. Even basic websites. And it was an auto update. I had to go get an old APK.

svillav

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
I've been using Opera since the 3.0 version, and everything I liked and use from the previous versions are simply absent from this Opera 15 that is only a Chrome clone.
. I`ll keep using Opera 12.51 that is the last instance of the classic Opera browser.
The tool bars, the lateral panels, the incorporated mail,etc is all gone. If I were to use a Chrome clone I'd rather use the real thing.

mariusmotea

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
I like the speed of the new browser, but also miss some features. On last version of opera 12 the tomshardware website cause some big lags, and i see the new version run without problems. I understand this decision, Opera is a wonderful browser, but with a very low marketshare, they need to change something to be accepted by more people.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
"opera had promise but after it didn't work well with most of the websites i frequantly went to i had no choice but to go to chrome" - This just sounds like a bot posting!

grumpigeek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
I only used Opera because they had a 64-bit version.

With Opera 15 just being a clone of Chrome there is no longer a 64-bit option.

By the end of 2013, Opera will no longer exist.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I use opera as my main browser not because of some silly render/javascript tests (even though it does well in those) but because it has a bunch of many comfortable things like "pinned" tabs, quick undo on history, one button shortcuts, mouse gestures, MRU tab navigation, most of which was missing in Opera 15 preview when I've checked it a week ago.

Unless they add all these, it's just "yet another web kit based browser".

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
"Like Google's Chrome browser, Opera has introduced two new release streams for the adventurous in addition to the Stable channel: Opera Next and Opera Developer"

I hate this type of journalism. At LEAST check your facts. Opera had its Next channel, which included pre-alpha, alpha, beta and RC long before Chrome even existed. The developer channel was existent even then, but the lab builds were few and far in between.

Like, you know, the 2008 lab-build of Opera that presented the world hardware acceleration in a browser? ....

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Opera 15:

Pros:
- Fast , or very fast compared to the 12.xx on pages with many pictures (Facebook, 9gag.com etc)
- minimalistic design

Cons:
- I don`t get it why they discarded the Bookmarks (kinda replaced it with Stash)
- the zoom slider is now hidden under the drop down menu
- limited start options, usually i don`t want to start a new session with the last opened tabs.
- hugelol.org is seeing the browser as a mobile platform and tries to redirect but with no use .. technically this site cannot be accessed trough Opera 15 or Next.

Other thoughts:
Though for some users the other things like mail, opera unite etc were useful for the likes of me they were just bloatware.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Well.... then Opera 15 shouldn't have been release yet until more of those features have been made. Opera 12 is kick as in functionality, not so in compatibility. opera 12 does things that Chrome, ff, IE cannot do... which makes it a dream to use the second you run it the first time.

Been a full time Opera user since version 8.

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Opera just abandoned their loyal fan base. I've been using Opera as my main browser for many years and recently tried Opera 15 and found that it's nothing but a re-branded Chrome browser with a few modified bits here and there. So I uninstalled Opera 15 and re-installed Opera 12, but also downloaded and played with Firefox 22 as a contingency measure in case Opera bottoms out. I still wanted to stick with Opera 12 while 15 gets worked on and have FF handy on the side, just in case. Problem is, O12 keeps NAGGING me to update to the latest version which I already uninstalled so I imported all my bookmarks in O12 to Firefox, uninstalled O12, and now I'm pretty much settled in on Firefox. Thanks for the memories, Opera!

Status
Not open for further replies.