Received an email saying its from Outlook, Avoid E-mail Suspension.. Is this fake?

Ragnarous

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
Dear E-mail User,
Your e-mail account is currently not upgraded.

Kindly sign in below for upgrade to avoid account suspension,

And it's giving a link what looks like an outlook login page, but the url is this random letters and number and wants me to login with my e-mail and password.. Need to know, is this a scam, I received it 1st of may and was sent to the junk folder..

Solution

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

Scam scam scam scam. Anything sent from random letters is a scam.

Ragnarous

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

What are the consiquences of falling in a trap like that?

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

If you type in your password to up date, well guess what? they just got your password. Clicking on the link can lead to auto downloads that get harmless looking files into your computer. Those files can key board track and get passwords, search for bank information, and affect your computer itself. In short bad things can happen, very bad things.

Ragnarous

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

Well, I'm dumb but i did put it... However i changed it afterwards and there wasn't any files downloaded anywhere.. I will of course format my computer again (fotunately i haven't logged in , in any banks, ebay , paypal or stuff like that) But what it said after putting the password, I just got a message from visionsglobalenpowerment . org saying thank you.. I then went to that site and it's just something about 3rd world countries and donations.. What happened? Can u quickly research and tell me if i am in any danger?

That really depends on how much you do online and whether or not you use the same password for any other online activities. For instance, if you do any online banking, your user account is typically your e-mail account and if you use the same password for both, they now have access to your bank account.

-Wolf sends

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

You are not the only dumb click in the book. :D I did something with my steam account that ended up sending a chain link virus to all my friends. I was able to clear it up.

For your issue I would suggest changing your password to something very secure and not anything like the old one. See if there are additional security options you can temporarily utilize. (On g mail you can setup 2 way verification. I did this when I thought I might have been hacked.I left that on fr a couple weeks.) Scan your pc with malwarebytes free version and use the full scan everything option. Run it twice after restarting/removal if any. http://www.malwarebytes.org/4/ If you have any passwords stored on your computer (Dumb idea, but some people do.) Change them right away. Formatting your harddrive is not needed, but you can if you really want. Just make sure you don't backup any viruses or use a backup made at a time before you infected yourself.

Ragnarous

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
Ok, i will isolate this e-mail , and by this i mean change everything containing this email and adding a new one after formatting my pc! Will this be enough to fix the problem?

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

Also what Wolf said. Any similar passwords or same passwords can be hacked. If they have your email, there is a good chance they know what you signed up for and what to try to hack. Check you other accounts to see if any reset attempts were made via email. In the future ask/lookup before clicking strange things. :p

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

Once you securely have access back to your email, you won't need to change your email. I would still check on your other accounts. Do you have data you need backed up? or is this not a computer you have important data on?

Ragnarous

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

Well, for my luck this happened just after the format, so no only drivers and such =D.. I changed the password of my e-mail.. Do they only see the one i inserted in their website? And they will try with that one to hack into my e-mail and other accounts right?

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

Correct they only have the one that you gave on their site, however look in to additional security options, because I was able to reset a friends email password having an old password (but not current password) and a decent amount of information about their account like most contacted and such and devices used. Try contacting outlook for options. Can't hurt asking them.

Disclaimer: I was given permission to try to reset their password. Tom's hardware does not condone hacking or anything similar.

Ragnarous

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

I've set up a security system that requires to send a message with a code on my mobile phone for login in, and password changes.. If they try anything funny I will probably receive a code on my phone! That should be enough right? :)

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

Yeah that is what I did with my gmail. That is perfect to avoid the easy reset option, because they have a lot of information about your email and in a couple weeks if you really want you can turn it off and you will be fine.

Solution