Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
Ok so for starters this is what I have;

TCL 4k tv : US5800
Pioneer Receiver VSX522
Xbox one/ various other consoles

Xbox connected directly to the TV
TV connected to receiver via ARC

Here's my situation, my receiver does not support passing 4k video from sources like lets say the new xbox one x if I choose to get it, to my tv, just as well, when i utilize ARC to pass signal from tv to reciever, for some reason my xbox it will not be in surround sound (no back speakers or center speaker)

I have spent a fair amount of time searching through various forums and fiddling with basically all the settings on all 3 of the devices basically I cant figure out how I can get 4k from as I said, the new xbox one x (or a 4k player) and also get surround sound working.

Im not sure exactly how optical outputs work, I was wondering if that is an option before I go out and by it, or am I basically stuck with what I have or am forced to get a new receiver if I want everything to work out.

Edited: changed digital to optical: accident

ssddx

Glorious
i know that if you run a computer->tv->receiver via arc you will get 2.0 because the pc recognizes only the tv as a stereo device. it could be that the xbox does as well.

more likely however is that the tv may only support 2.0 via arc. on cheaper televisions this is not at all uncommon.

potential solutions?

given as how you said your receiver will not pass 4k content device->receiver->tv doesnt seem to be an option.

-upgrade to a 4k receiver.

-use a hdmi audio extractor with optical 5.1 over optical support. to get 5.1 both the receiver input and conversion box would need to support 5.1. the hdmi output would go to your tv.

-use digital optical out of the devices to the receivers input. use hdmi to the tv. again, if your devices both support 5.1 over optical (not all do).

-use a hdmi splitter of some kind to go to both devices.

ssddx

Glorious
i know that if you run a computer->tv->receiver via arc you will get 2.0 because the pc recognizes only the tv as a stereo device. it could be that the xbox does as well.

more likely however is that the tv may only support 2.0 via arc. on cheaper televisions this is not at all uncommon.

potential solutions?

given as how you said your receiver will not pass 4k content device->receiver->tv doesnt seem to be an option.

-upgrade to a 4k receiver.

-use a hdmi audio extractor with optical 5.1 over optical support. to get 5.1 both the receiver input and conversion box would need to support 5.1. the hdmi output would go to your tv.

-use digital optical out of the devices to the receivers input. use hdmi to the tv. again, if your devices both support 5.1 over optical (not all do).

-use a hdmi splitter of some kind to go to both devices.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
damluar Audio 2
S Audio 1
M Audio 2
C Audio 7
caseykallday Audio 1
C Audio 3
S Audio 1
D Audio 1
A Audio 3
A Audio 1
C Audio 2