Receiver speaker output (wire posts) to optical ?

mrsunset

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016
Hi,

I would like to make use of a powerful LG Sound-plate I got with a TV for a different purpose. I'd like it to be the speakers for my music, hooked up to my new Onkyo receiver in my living room.. The sound-plate only accepts (Toslink) optical input...and the receiver has the standard wire terminals for speakers. Is there a way to do it ?

The only thing that comes to mind is using RCA cables stripped at one end, hooked up to the receivers speaker terminals, and then the other end of the cables into a powered RCA-to-Optical conversion device.

I'm open to suggestions.

Barry

Solution
i agree to not cripple a home theater with a soundbar...

if you must and want to use the speaker connections, you would first need a speaker level to line level adapter [reduces power of signal back to low level so you dont blow the electronics of the next device] followed by an analog to digital converter [likely rca to optical].

otherwise, you would need to use any output you may have [if any] for low level analog output [use it as zone 2 speaker or aux speaker not part of main surround set] or bluetooth/wireless.

if you only want to use it for music when other speakers are running... bluetooth or zone 2 [with associated adapters above] would likely be your setup. if you wanted to use it as a front channel speaker, likely connected...

mrsunset

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016

..well Bluetooth would suck now, wouldn't it ! :)

mrsunset

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016

Believe me I checked...optical input only !

i agree to not cripple a home theater with a soundbar...

if you must and want to use the speaker connections, you would first need a speaker level to line level adapter [reduces power of signal back to low level so you dont blow the electronics of the next device] followed by an analog to digital converter [likely rca to optical].

otherwise, you would need to use any output you may have [if any] for low level analog output [use it as zone 2 speaker or aux speaker not part of main surround set] or bluetooth/wireless.

if you only want to use it for music when other speakers are running... bluetooth or zone 2 [with associated adapters above] would likely be your setup. if you wanted to use it as a front channel speaker, likely connected to the center channel output.

Solution
If you have to do it there are two possible ways.
1. If the receiver has a record output (analog usually) you can convert that to optical with an ADC like this one
https://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-Analog-Digital-Converter-Adapter/dp/B005F20756
2. If you don't have any line level audio outputs you can use a speaker to line level converter like this one
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LOC80/Scosche-LOC80.html
along with the above.
I think that it makes more sense to go to a thrift store, garage sale, or Craiglist and buy some speakers. Even some that might only cost as much as the adapters would probably sound better.