receiving fm via set-top box

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

I have a couple of good tuners - Quad FM4 and Leak TroughLine, and am
having touble getting an aerial to work with either (have no access to
roof). I have heard that it is possible to utilize an existing TV
aerial to receive FM broadcast via a (television) "set-top box" Any
comments, folks?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

"SimoninEaston" <simonhpainter@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:d7o8600jp5@news4.newsguy.com...
>I have a couple of good tuners - Quad FM4 and Leak TroughLine, and am
> having touble getting an aerial to work with either (have no access to
> roof). I have heard that it is possible to utilize an existing TV
> aerial to receive FM broadcast via a (television) "set-top box" Any
> comments, folks?

Depends.

First, you've got to have analog, not digital cable. Or if you have
digital, then you've got to tap off of a coax output following the
decoder...not terribly likely as most tv's these days don't use a coax input
from the cable box.

But assuming you have a coax cable, analog input, no filters anywhere in the
line (cable companies often install them at their junction box and will only
remove them if you pay extra), then you can do it.

You need an FM/TV splitter (not filter, splitter). This feeds the FM out on
its own (usually coax) line and the tv on another. You'll need an extra
cable. Finally, if the FM out of the splitter is coax and you have only a
300 ohm antenna input, you will need a conversion transformer/adaptor for
the final connection to the tuner.

But it can be done. I did it once, years ago. Reception was okay, but
occassionally had a "gritty" quality that I've never had over the air.
 

chung

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2004
465
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

Harry Lavo wrote:

> "SimoninEaston" <simonhpainter@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:d7o8600jp5@news4.newsguy.com...
>>I have a couple of good tuners - Quad FM4 and Leak TroughLine, and am
>> having touble getting an aerial to work with either (have no access to
>> roof). I have heard that it is possible to utilize an existing TV
>> aerial to receive FM broadcast via a (television) "set-top box" Any
>> comments, folks?
>
> Depends.
>
> First, you've got to have analog, not digital cable.

Does existing TV aerial mean cable feed to you? He perhaps is talking
about aerials, meaning antennas. Not the cable feed. In any event, the
cable feed carries both digital and analog channels. There is no cable
feed that only carries digital. The cable feed contains signals from
about 50 MHz to as high as 850 MHz in the US. Usually the cable feed
does not carry FM (at least in the US).

> Or if you have
> digital, then you've got to tap off of a coax output following the
> decoder...not terribly likely as most tv's these days don't use a coax input
> from the cable box.
>
> But assuming you have a coax cable, analog input, no filters anywhere in the
> line (cable companies often install them at their junction box and will only
> remove them if you pay extra), then you can do it.

Not sure if he's talking about cable TV feeds.
>
> You need an FM/TV splitter (not filter, splitter). This feeds the FM out on
> its own (usually coax) line and the tv on another. You'll need an extra
> cable. Finally, if the FM out of the splitter is coax and you have only a
> 300 ohm antenna input, you will need a conversion transformer/adaptor for
> the final connection to the tuner.
>
> But it can be done. I did it once, years ago. Reception was okay, but
> occassionally had a "gritty" quality that I've never had over the air.

To the original OP, it is easy to get FM out of the existing TV roof
antenna feed, unless the antenna only receives UHF channels. VHF TV
antennas receive the 88-108MHz FM band. You can simply plug the roof-top
TV antenna feed into the FM receiver. That works for me. In some cases,
where there are very strong TV stations, you might need an FM filter
between the TV feed and the FM receiver so that the TV signals are removed.

But you probably were asking a different question. Is there any set-top
box that has an FM output? I do not know of any in the US. But then you
can just split the antenna signal so that one output goes to the FM
receiver.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

Cor - sounds a bit complicated! The extra complication in my case is
that I don't use a television... I've got a TV aerial, with what I
assume is analogue co-ax coming down from it, which at the moment is
coiled up and hanging from a hook in the attic. Presumably the only way
I could see the set-top box settings is by viewing the menu on a
television, which I don't want to do (no licence, for starters) Do FM
aerials ever work OK installed inside attic (in inner city
surroundings) or should I bite the bullit and pay a professional to
install an outdoor aerial???

Harry Lavo wrote:
> "SimoninEaston" <simonhpainter@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:d7o8600jp5@news4.newsguy.com...
> >I have a couple of good tuners - Quad FM4 and Leak TroughLine, and am
> > having touble getting an aerial to work with either (have no access to
> > roof). I have heard that it is possible to utilize an existing TV
> > aerial to receive FM broadcast via a (television) "set-top box" Any
> > comments, folks?
>
> Depends.
>
> First, you've got to have analog, not digital cable. Or if you have
> digital, then you've got to tap off of a coax output following the
> decoder...not terribly likely as most tv's these days don't use a coax input
> from the cable box.
>
> But assuming you have a coax cable, analog input, no filters anywhere in the
> line (cable companies often install them at their junction box and will only
> remove them if you pay extra), then you can do it.
>
> You need an FM/TV splitter (not filter, splitter). This feeds the FM out on
> its own (usually coax) line and the tv on another. You'll need an extra
> cable. Finally, if the FM out of the splitter is coax and you have only a
> 300 ohm antenna input, you will need a conversion transformer/adaptor for
> the final connection to the tuner.
>
> But it can be done. I did it once, years ago. Reception was okay, but
> occassionally had a "gritty" quality that I've never had over the air.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

"SimoninEaston" <simonhpainter@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:d7qcvp014kl@news2.newsguy.com...
> Cor - sounds a bit complicated! The extra complication in my case is
> that I don't use a television... I've got a TV aerial, with what I
> assume is analogue co-ax coming down from it, which at the moment is
> coiled up and hanging from a hook in the attic. Presumably the only way
> I could see the set-top box settings is by viewing the menu on a
> television, which I don't want to do (no licence, for starters) Do FM
> aerials ever work OK installed inside attic (in inner city
> surroundings) or should I bite the bullit and pay a professional to
> install an outdoor aerial???
>

As Chung correctly pointed out, I assumed you were talking about a cable tv
cable when you mentioned "set top box". These to the best of my knowledge
are only used for cable tv or satellite tv. And a rotor box is used for
rotating a rooftop TV antenna. Other than that, I don't know what you mean
by a "set top box".

Do you have an antenna on the roof? Is that where the cable wire is coming
from? If so, does that antenna have a rotor on the pole (underneath the
antenna...looks like a big "bulge" on the pole)? More infor would help us
give you guidance.

Or were you in fact talking about cable TV?


> Harry Lavo wrote:
>> "SimoninEaston" <simonhpainter@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:d7o8600jp5@news4.newsguy.com...
>> >I have a couple of good tuners - Quad FM4 and Leak TroughLine, and am
>> > having touble getting an aerial to work with either (have no access to
>> > roof). I have heard that it is possible to utilize an existing TV
>> > aerial to receive FM broadcast via a (television) "set-top box" Any
>> > comments, folks?
>>
>> Depends.
>>
>> First, you've got to have analog, not digital cable. Or if you have
>> digital, then you've got to tap off of a coax output following the
>> decoder...not terribly likely as most tv's these days don't use a coax
>> input
>> from the cable box.
>>
>> But assuming you have a coax cable, analog input, no filters anywhere in
>> the
>> line (cable companies often install them at their junction box and will
>> only
>> remove them if you pay extra), then you can do it.
>>
>> You need an FM/TV splitter (not filter, splitter). This feeds the FM out
>> on
>> its own (usually coax) line and the tv on another. You'll need an extra
>> cable. Finally, if the FM out of the splitter is coax and you have only
>> a
>> 300 ohm antenna input, you will need a conversion transformer/adaptor for
>> the final connection to the tuner.
>>
>> But it can be done. I did it once, years ago. Reception was okay, but
>> occassionally had a "gritty" quality that I've never had over the air.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sjwilliamsjr Audio 3
M Audio 1
A Audio 1
I Audio 1
F Audio 1
damluar Audio 2
D Audio 1
B Audio 3
M Audio 2
S Audio 0
amchenry Audio 1
A Audio 4
kryonas Audio 2
Bonesaw Audio 1
D Audio 0
MySmartTVBox Audio 2
D Audio 1
S Audio 1
P Audio 0
C Audio 1
Similar threads
Question How to connect Yamaha receiver to powered amp with rca inputs
Question AV receiver not decoding HD audio from PC over HDMI connection
Question How to connect a Rockville EQ to a Yamaha RX-V567 Natural Sound AV Receiver/Amp with Polk Audio Surround speakers
Question PC Build Complete! Last problem is connecting 5.1 to my old A/V receiver and 4k TV.
Question Trying to figure out how to connect an equalizer to my A/V receiver.
Question Need help connecting a subwoofer to a receiver without sub output
Question What kind of receiver do I need?
Question I just received crusher skull candy wireless head phones, and would like to pair them to my vizio sound bar
Question Suggestions for modern speakers to pair with vintage Trio KR-8340 receiver
Question Are two speaker arrangements for 1 receiver possible?
Question Sub only active when receiver is turned off
Solved! Hooking up an active subwoofer to A/V receiver
Question Half channels from Anthem MRX 700 receiver at low volume. How to troubleshoot/fix?
Question What exactly are the advantages of using a home theater system with receiver over optical/speakers?
Question Connecting 2 Denon receivers for multi-room listening
Question My Pioneer Receiver VSX-831 does not turn on. Network/Wireless red led light blinks erratically
Question Audio Receiver Question
Question Yamaha htr-6130 how to output to speakers with Rca cables
Question Validating Dolby Audio on FireTV Cube via AV Receiver
Question Ceiling speakers - Troubleshooting

ASK THE COMMUNITY