Recommended brands

sam_p_lay

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
Can anybody recommend a laptop/netbook brand that pre-installs little to no stuff as standard? Every brand I've ever used comes absolutely packed with stuff I don't want on there and it would be good to not have to waste time clearing it all out.

sam_p_lay

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
Some have a lot more than others though... my brother's girlfriend just bought an Asus with TWO antivirus programs installed, made the system barely usable right out the box. Some are definitely a lot worse than others.

Buy a laptop without an OS and install your own. Or order a custom laptop from a boutique builder who will follow your instructions.

It will cost a bit more to but it's the only way you'll avoid pre-installed software and 'trialware'.
Laptop companies make a lot of money selling the right to add software packages.

sam_p_lay

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
WR2 - So Xotic PC is just a retailer that changes the hard disk contents before selling it?

Yasir - No bloatware on Lenovo laptops then?

Xotic PC is a custom laptop builder. No, they do a lot more than do clean OS installs.
Depending on the model selected, they can offer options not available on major brand retail laptops.

Lenovo's are loaded with bloatware too.