Recording Audio for Yoga Videos

kmicks

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016
Hello,

I am trying to record some yoga videos, during the practice (so not adding audio during post). I am looking for some advice on a good wireless lavalier mic system to be able to achieve something similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AigVwIFvmAQ

However, while some have suggested the wireless system to me, I am also struggling to to understand why that is advantageous to a wired lav mic that is attached to a Zoom h4n in my lower back, instead of the wireless transmitter. Any opinions on that?

Lastly, do you have any suggestions for a wireless lav system, in the event that I do go that route? Would the RodeLink be overkill?

Thank you so much!
Kiera

Solution
the benefits of using a wireless lavalier microphone system would be that the receiver can be connected up to any device you want and is less bulky. you could for instance record direct to pc or laptop in your favorite audio/video program and record both audio and video at once. this would also work in cases of live streaming or live editing.

using a wired mic would would be awkward to connect to a pc/laptop as cables would get in your way and if using a portable recorder you would need to combine the audio and video in post production. not hard, but you need to make sure you sync voices up to mouth motions as your start/stop times may be different between your audio and video files. also you limit yourself a little to post production...
the benefits of using a wireless lavalier microphone system would be that the receiver can be connected up to any device you want and is less bulky. you could for instance record direct to pc or laptop in your favorite audio/video program and record both audio and video at once. this would also work in cases of live streaming or live editing.

using a wired mic would would be awkward to connect to a pc/laptop as cables would get in your way and if using a portable recorder you would need to combine the audio and video in post production. not hard, but you need to make sure you sync voices up to mouth motions as your start/stop times may be different between your audio and video files. also you limit yourself a little to post production instead of being able to do anything live.

one thing to keep in mind is that many wired lavalier microphones need power. make sure your recorder is meant for them and can provide this. the wireless systems should be self contained if it comes in a kit.

sorry, i cannot link to any such systems for you. rode isnt a bad brand and has many nice desktop microphones i'm more used to dealing with. audiotechnica is another good brand i'm familiar with. i do not deal with lavalier microphones so thats about as far as i can go.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS