Recovery Media Through Product Key

FuriousSaif15

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
Hello,
I bought a Toshiba Satellite C655 - S5501 with Windows 7 Home premium Pre-Installed. My friend installed a pirated version of Windows 8 through BIOS but he messed up and i think he lost the Windows 7 files/partition pre-installed.I did not create a recovery media before and I still have the Windows -7 product key.I would like to know if there is a way to get back my Genuine Windows 7 using the product key (or if it is still stored in my laptop).I also tried that online windows thing by entering product key but it didnt work :(.I am now running the pirated windows 8.1 which keeps on giving me an activate windows error!!!

Solution

When the laptop was new, you had the option to create your very own DVD's for this.
If that partition is gone, and you did not create those DVD's, Toshiba will in fact charge you for a replacement.

USAFRet

Illustrious

If that recovery partition is actually gone, your only recourse is to contact Toshiba.
This may involve $$.

D

Deleted member 217926

I think Toshiba charges about $50 for the recovery media. Expensive way to learn not to use a pirated OS.

FuriousSaif15

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016

Umm.. How can i know if the recovery partion is there or gone, cuz i dont wanna spend $$ and if it is gone cant i get a recovery media for free cuz i still have my genuine product key...???

FuriousSaif15

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016

Even if i wanted to order a recovery media from toshiba i dont live in the us any more (from where i bought the laptop) so can i also get it from somewhere else too(like any other computer store)???
I really didnt get that - 'Expensive way to learn not to use a pirated OS'

USAFRet

Illustrious

When the laptop was new, you had the option to create your very own DVD's for this.
If that partition is gone, and you did not create those DVD's, Toshiba will in fact charge you for a replacement.

Solution

Marie_21

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016

I believe he is asking how do we see if in fact the partition/partitions have been compleatly lost/deleted? I have the same thing going on with my Toshiba Satellite L55-A5226 and I had 8.1 Pre-installed & I had upgraded to windows 10 just to uninstall it & go back to 8.1. It crashed after that & I cant find my partition for recovery either but I can still access my Product Key (OEM).

Hello, Saif:

I think your options have run out. I did the same thing (erased my recovery partition, not the pirate thing) with my Lenovo running Win8.1. These days with Windows 10 I would just download the MCT and install a new ISO version, but with Win8.1 (and Win7 I suspect) I had to order a recovery USB from a special Lenovo web page. It cost me about $40 but it enabled me to reset the machine completely.

As mentioned by other posters, the recovery feature in Win7 allows you to make a set of recovery DVDs for this exact situation. I'm afraid you'll have to pay Toshiba for a recovery USB.

GreyCatz.